2008-12-21

Some reflection and some best of picks

Hey y'all,
The holidays are coming...hell look at the snow outside man! The holidays are here! I have had a good time this year. Good family, good friends, very little retail hell. Actually the low economic expectations this year have made things less hectic. Where I work business is a bit down but they economized beforehand so the hit isn't so bad. I still refrain, not to be a nag, but you still have time to buy a book for christmas. Books can give a lifetime of enjoyment. They don't need an upgrade. They don't become obsolete in a few years. Even the cheapest paperback at our store is $3. That's the same as a cup of coffee, less than a hamburger. Just do it, it's better for everyone.

Anyway we're nearing the end of the year. This is the first year that I've been able to really track what I've read over the course of a year. It's a gift to be able to reflect back and see what I think. So with much fanfare I'm throwing out some Best of 2008.

Best of 2008

Best Graphic Novel: Starman Omnibus Vol. 1
Past Review: The Good and the Bad
One of the greatest gifts this year for me was the discovery of writer James Robinson. Starman is a great combination of the edgy and the classic. Jack Knight really wants to be a hero, but he can't admit it to himself. He'd rather be hipster ironic. By rejecting everything his father is, Jack can be his own version of a hero. Robinson captures the difficult relationship between this father and son. Again it's what they can't say to each other that keeps them from having a relationship. The "David" issue was also very effective visually as well as emotionally. The use of black and white signifying nostalgia as well as death. I can't wait for Vol. 2.

Best Book Not a Graphic Novel: Quiet Please: Dispatches from a Public Librarian
Past Review: Hot Time! Summer in the City!

If you've been paying attention then you know that I work as an assistant at a public library. (This is in addition to my work as a book seller. Sorry it's confusing.) I've worked in libraries for about 3 years now. However my mom has worked as a public librarian for nearly 40 years now, so I grew up in libraries. Quiet Please: Dispatches from a Public Librarian written by Scott Douglas tells the story of a young man who starts out as a lowly page in the Anaheim Public library system. He decides reluctantly to become a librarian and the book chronicles his journey through 6 years of service. I found myself deeply affected by one chapter where he's confronted by another librarian. The librarian reminds Scott that he is a public servant and to never put himself above the public. This stayed with me and has become a new motto. Douglas's raw, honest, portrayal of public service was a book that I took to heart.

Best Comic Book: Fables #71
Past Review: If only I could teleport away...

This awesome issue was a complete surprise. The Good Prince story arc had just wrapped up and there were supposed to a few filler issues before the final war against the Adversary. Filler issues are usually such a waste of time. However I loved this issue which featured Cinderella as a super spy on a secret mission. It was great to see Cinderella kick ass, which she has not really done in the past. It took me back to one of my fave TV series Alias. Also the cover is amazingly cool. I love it.


So there you are. Have a great weekend! Book Slave.

2 comments:

Scott Douglas said...

"Quiet, Please"?! Please! You obviously haven't read the seventh edition to "Lombardy and the Italian Lakes"...it will blow you away!

Regards,
Scott Douglas

gettsr said...

It is an honor to have you pass my way on these interwebs. No I haven't read "Lombardy" but I eagerly await your next book. Just let you know I push Quiet Please on every librarian I know. Happy Holidays and have a great new year!