2008-12-23

Review me!

Hey folks,
Merry Christmas to you all! I hope you are all having a great holiday season. I am enjoying my time immensely. Having a few days off has been great! My gift to you folks is a massive helping of reviews. Onwards!

Reviews
Local
I have been waiting for this series to finish so I could read it altogether. It was worth the wait. This collection is gorgeous. Local, written by Brian Wood, follows a woman named Megan over the course of 13 years. Each issue follows her in a different city from Portland to Chicago to Halifax. Megan is a great human character who makes mistakes, goes through horrible situations, and tries to find her own identity. The main theme of identity is striking as we see her age from 17 to 30. Ryan Kelly does an amazing job in subtly showing her change and grow throughout the series. Also Kelly is great at portraying the details of each location. I particularly enjoyed the details in the Portland segment which is a city I find interesting. NPR named this collection their best graphic novel of 2008 and it deserves every bit of praise.

Other Reviews
PopMatters|PDX Comic Geek|NPR Top Book of 2008

In Search of the Far Side

I have always enjoyed the absurdism of The Far Side by Gary Larson. In fact it's one of very few comic strips that I read. Larson sees the world in a smart crazy way. In Search of the Far Side is his third collection and I think that here is where Larson really starts to hit his stride. I am always impressed with how he is able to convey so much in one panel. My favorite in particle shows four dogs playing on a front lawn. In the background in a house window one dog looks forlornly with a violin in hand. All in one image he captures absurdism (dog playing a violin!) and poignancy (dog is sad he can't play with the others). I miss The Far Side.

Other Links: The Far Side

Re-Gifters
This was a cute tale that is aimed directly at teenage girls. The main character is a Korean girl named Jen Dixson who is mainly interested in martial arts and boys. Specifically a boy named Adam who is ridiculously uninteresting. I always have problems with these kindof stories because the boy that the main character has a crush on is so unworthy of her. Jen is an interesting person without being boy-crazy. Her desperation to be liked by Adam drives her to do silly things. Hijinks ensue. I was much more interested in the segments about her family and the martial arts tournament. Now that was cool. There was also some interesting commentary on the Korean community in LA and how they were effected by the Rodney King riots. Carey does a great job of layering these elements into the story without getting preachy. This is a good reccomendation for teenage girls.
Other Reviews
Blogcritics|Comics Worth Reading
|Girls Read Comics

Three Shadows
I picked this up on the reccomendation of a co-worker but it's taken me awhile to pick it up. It's too bad I took so long, because this was a good book. It focuses on a family that lives in the country that is menaced by three shadows. Ultimately the father decides to take his son away to his old homeland in an effort to keep him safe. It was this middle section that I got caught up in. Pedrosa paints a harrowing, difficult portrait of their boat passage. This is clearly meant to comment on the immigrant experience. I was also impressed with the relationship of this family. The mother and father are willing to do anything to keep their son safe. In the end I became emotionally connected to this family. So I found myself a bit torn when the story moved away from them to other supernatural elements. The Deux Ex Machina that Pedrosa introduces in the end is a bit cheap. However I found this story worked and had some great characterizations.

Other Reviews
Comic Mix|School Library Journal|moonshine

Kin
I just want to start with this: I'm not big on fairies. I'm not against them, it's just not my thing. So I picked this up solely based on the reccomendation of a co-worker (shout out to Alex!). I found this tale interesting, however I'm still not big on fairies. With that in mind I thought this tale was interesting but I won't be continuing. While I did get caught up in the mystery aspect I was underwhelmed by the art. Sometimes the faces were a bit too vague. I think the majority of the human characters were gender ambiguous. An interesting choice by the artist but it through me off. Also the Deux Ex Machina ending was a bit too easy.

Other Reviews
Book Reviews and More|nineseveneight|Oops wrong cookie

The Reading List
Books
Motel Life
What I Saw and How I Lied


Magazine
Newsweek

Comic
Batman and the Outsiders #14

Check Out Count: Much Improved.

Comic Pull List: Batman #683, Daredevil #114, New Avengers #48, Runaways 3 #5, Trinity #30, Umbrella Academy Dallas #2, Wonder Woman #27

And in the end folks, Have a great Holiday! Enjoy the madness and prepare for a bright new year. Book Slave.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the link. I like your site and look forward to hearing what you think of The Motel Life. It's quite possibly on my all-time Top 10 list (definitely in the top 25). Cheers!

gettsr said...

You are very welcome. Thanks for dropping by. I've been waiting to read Motel Life for awhile. I'll be posting on it next week so stay tuned. Have a great holiday!