2008-06-17

Hot Time! Summer in the City!

Hello,
Yes I now live in an oven. It's the consequence of being surrounded by concrete I suppose. At least I work in air conditioned buildings. On days like today you couldn't pay me to be a construction worker.
On another front I am currently obsessed with Euro2008. Two international games a day! I'm in Heaven! However this does cut down on my reading time so rather than give you a short entry today I'm gonna combine entries. I've promised you a special focus on the book Quiet Please by Scott Douglas so I'm gonna throw it in here. Don't worry you'll also get a review and current reading list. Just gonna throw in a little extra. So let's get it going already!

Special Focus: Quiet Please


When I heard about this memoir I had to pick it up. Quiet Please: Dispatches from a Public Librarian written by Scott Douglas tells the story of a young man who starts out as a lowly page in the Anaheim Public library system. He decides reluctantly to become a librarian and the book chronicles his journey through 6 years of service. A little autobiography and context to start off. As any constant reader may surmise I spend some of my days as an assistant librarian. I have spent the majority of my life in libraries because my mom has served, and continues to do so, as a librarian for 30 years. Her dedication to public service deserves to be admired, and I am happy to follow her lead.

As I read this book I was struck by the author's raw, sometimes bitter, honesty about everything. This includes his fellow co-workers, patrons, and enemies. Having worked in libraries myself I often laughed and empathized with Douglas. His no hold barred honesty was refreshing and I think eye-opening.

In my opinion every librarian working today should read this memoir. Many co-workers I've had, young and old, have been burned-out by the negative experiences that they've had. Instead of glossing over those experiences Douglas brings them to light. When he states that he often fears that one of his patron will kill him he is half serious. Poignantly he discusses how there are problem patrons that drive him crazy, but he misses them when they disappear. These chapters were enjoyable and eye-opening.

I took Douglas's commentary to heart, especially when a co-worker reminds him "never to put himself above the public." Librarians are "public servants"-a fact that I think is often forgotten. Again I think that all librarians should read this book. I can't recommend it highly enough.

FYI Scott Douglas blogs here. Check it out.

Reviews
DC Comic Guide to Writing Comics
This instructional book by legendary comic writer Dennis O'Neill was very interesting and informative. I recommend this book to any teen/adult who wants to write comics. O'Neill offers technical and story advice in an easy fun format. He also includes great examples from real comics, however I would like to see an updated version that includes 52, a weekly series, or mega-events that are common today.

What's In My Bag

Comic
Rasl #1

Magazine
Film Comment

Books
Assassination Vacation
Suspicions of Mr. Whicher

Check Out Count: Under Control. I hope.

Alright time to sit in front of the fan and watch nations collide on the soccer field of battle. Enjoy! Book Slave.

2 comments:

marilyng said...

Liked the review, a good one to read when things in the old biblio aren't going as well as one hopes.
MG

gettsr said...

Thanks mom. Yeah my mom reads my blog even if no else does. Have you gotten a copy of the book yet? No. Drop whatever you are doing and go now.