2008-04-02

If only I could teleport away...

Hello virtual ladies and gentlemen,
Apologies for the lateness of this post. Last night I was tired and my internet service was weak, however you do get another book review today. Perhaps that will make up for it. (Don't judge me! I'll be better, I promise!) Onward!

Reviews
Jumper
This young adult novel of an abused teen who discovers he can teleport was recently made into a film that appeared on movie screens last month. The idea intrigued me and I thought I'd give it a go. I found the book really divided itself into two parts. The first half I got really involved in as the main character David Rice tries to make it on his own after running away from his abusive dad. David goes through the typical heroes journey, discovers his powers, meets a girl, and tries to resolve his issues. Oddly I found myself rooting for David's survival, although he's quite whiny. The reader has to remind themselves that this is an underdeveloped teen who has no guidance. The second half of the book is more like a Tom Clancy novel as David decides to take on terrorists (yeah pre-9/11 too) and is being chased by the scary NSA. This half I found less interesting and more like an action movie. It is oddly prescient to our current situation. Ultimately though I did find it a satisfying read.
(BTW I've heard that the movie is terrible and not really like the book at all)

Wonder Woman #18
Gail Simone continues to spin an interesting tale. Unfortunately I was less interested in the odd courting rituals of the Amazons, then the wonderful jokes regarding celebrity. I like how Simone is using a big part of her story for societal satire. The panel with a Wonderwoman Sphinx statue was priceless. I will continue reading although I don't trust these Khund's, their intentions can't be good.


Fables #71
Awesome issue. I love the mixture of Fables and great spy-like action. Cinderella kicks ass in this issue as she continues on her secret mission. Meanwhile Prince Charming manipulates himself into becoming the head of the upcoming war against Gepetto's forces. This subplot is mainly set up for the next story arc but I really enjoyed seeing PC be a master manipulator again.


Goon #22
I enjoy Eric Powell's unique view on comics. He continues to use a balance of gross humor and violence to spin your expectations. Warning: I would not read this at night or before eating. Anyway this one has a lot of set up for a new arc but I did enjoy a look into the Goon's past.

What's In My Bag
Books
Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

Plays
Coast of Utopia Vol. 3

Magazine
Entertainment Weekly

Comics
Dock Walloper

Check Out Count: A Little Better, But Still Insane!

Have a great week! Book Slave

No comments: