2008-04-25

Better late than Never

Hey, apologies for the lateness of this post. Sometimes the words aren't a-flowing as much as they should. So today's topic: Graphic Novels and Libraries.

In the library where I work I have come to love our graphic novel section. It has a wide variety of titles, several different genres, and is currently the second highest circulating items (behind AV materials, like DVDs, CDs, etc.). When I was first employed, I admit that my knowledge was somewhat limited. Due to this inexperience I dedicated myself to reading at least 10-12 a year. As I dug in further that number tripled. I also decided to look into the benefits of graphic novels when it comes to those who have reading difficulties. Kids with limited reading skills benefit from the combination of art and words. This helps with comprehension. Also the fact that these books are usually 100-150 pages long. As the reader is able to get through a series there confidence grows and they decide to raise the stakes quicker.

Let's also not forget that these stories are fun. Yeah I said it. The links to sci-fi and fantasy are obvious, however there is also an escapism. Entire new worlds are developed and histories created. Kids and adults can easily lose themselves in these stories. On the other hand, recent graphic novels have expanded their storytelling to the autobiographical. Modern classics along these lines include Persepolis, American Splendor, and Blankets. So readers get the best of all worlds.

I also decided to work on my fellow librarians to give graphic novels a shot. There was some resistance. At least one librarian told me "I will never read those (graphic novels) I don't have time." I'm still working on that one. However I was ecstatic this week when an older librarian told me she was going to try her first graphic novel: Persepolis. I had given this same book to my mom for Christmas as her first graphic novel and it was a success. So I now consider Persepolis a great gateway reccomendation.

Anyway I've assembled an "If you like..." list here for anyone's whose interested:

If you like mysteries such as those written by Sue Grafton or the "V.I. Warshawski" series try Whiteout written by Greg Rucka.

If you like apocalyptic tales like I am Legend or The Road try The Walking Dead written by Robert Kirkman.

If you are looking for books for the tween girl inside try Spiderman Loves Mary Jane written by Sean McKeever.

If you like autobiograhical romance try Blankets by Craig Thompson.

If you like true crime try From Hell by Alan Moore.

If you like adventure and classic british literature try The League of Extraordinary Gentleman written by Alan Moore.

(Okay well basically anything by Alan Moore)

If you like crazy cosmic anarchy try The Invisibles written by Grant Morrison.

If you like political thrillers try Ex Machina by Brian K. Vaughan.

If you like fables with a modern twist try Fables written by Bill Willingham.

If you like Children of Men try Y the Last Man by Brian K. Vaughan.

As you can see there really is something for everyone. It's not just super-hero stuff. Have a great weekend! Book Slave.

1 comment:

crazy4novels said...

This was your best blog yet -- more "Book Pusher" and less 2.0 assignment -- kudos! The "If you liked . . . " list is tantalizing. I loved "Children of Men," so I'm going to try "Y The Last Men."