2008-04-09

It's far too late to be posting...

Hello out there!
Having a good week? I hope so. Me? oh thanks for asking. I'm doing swell. I should be sleeping more but there's too much to read!

Reviews

Coast of Utopia Vol. 3
This is the end of Stoppard's epic trilogy about the development of philosophy in 19th century Russia. Let's just repeat it: This is not for everyone. It's dense and talky. The main characters, except for Marx and Turgenev, are little known outside of philosophy circles. It's Stoppard's ability to mix the high-brow intellectual ideas with real human ability that makes him one of the best playwrights writing today. I became wrapped up in the strange love square that became Herzen/Ogarev/Natalie/Mary. The fact that these men are so passionate and messy emotionally makes these characters incredibly human. I dream of seeing these plays performed live. (Are you listening SLAC?)

Green Lantern #29
I'm not a fan of Green Lantern. In fact I don't know anything about Hal Jordan's story. Last summer I heard a lot of praise for the Green Lantern Sinestro War comic series, so I plan on picking that up once the library gets their copy. In preparation I decided to pick up this Origin story issue and I really loved it. The writing was wonderful, as we learn about his family history. Although his story fits the classic heroes journey mold, I didn't find it predictable. I found myself emotionally caught up, especially in the birthday scene, and the conflict between Hal and his brother Jack. Also the art was amazing. The splash pages were drop dead gorgeous.

What's In My Bag
Graphic Novel
The Invisibles Vol. 1

Books
Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

Magazine
Wizard

Comic
Countdown to Final Crisis #5

Check Out Count: Getting Better!

Have a great week! Book Slave.

No comments: