2008-04-15

Death and Taxes

Hello Tax Paying Citizens,
Yes it's tax day! As the Beatles said:
"If you drive a car, I'll tax the street
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat
If you get too cold, I'll tax the heat
If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet
Taxman"

Perhaps I should get involved with capital gains. Then I'll get a tax cut. Well at least I have a rebate coming! (Even though it really borrowed from the chinese) OK I'll stop. This is not the "Complain about Taxes" blog is it? Let's lose ourselves in fantastical worlds. Are you coming?

Reviews

The Invisibles Vol. 1
I picked this up on the recommendations of a co-worker (shout-out to awesome DJ Strange) and the podcast Comic Book Queers.
The story follows an angry young punk who is thrown out on his own in London. He discovers a crazy alternative universe that exists below the surface. In this alternative universe a gang called The Invisibles battles weird/psychosexual villians. As expected Grant Morrison brings on the weird and trippy. This kind of comic is not really my bag. I found the first three issues to be drastically different than the next 4 issues in tone. The philosophical and psychosexual undertones were way over my head. Warning: This book is not for the meek. I will give the book props for it's gay subtext which is uncommon in comics. However, I think I'll be sticking to Morrison's more mainstream fare.

Tales of the Batman
This collection of Batman stories, all drawn by Tim Sale, is awesome. I found the stories incredibly entertaining. Amazingly the majority of these stories barely even include Batman as a character. These tales are more about the world that Batman inhabits. In most of the stories it is the villians that take center stage, especially one story that centers around Arkham Asylum. These are all drawn/written in a classic style but with a dark edge. I also loved the three-parter Blades, written by James Robinson. Don't miss this collection.

Alan Moore on his Work and Career
Confession time: I love Alan Moore. I worship at his feet. So I picked up this interview book and gave it a read. Moore rarely does interviews and hasn't been at a comic-con since 1986. I think that he likes to create an air of mystery/magic around his own personal image. (This also stretches to his appearance, check it out here.) Unfortunately this interview book is pretty dry. It's a straight interview which I think could've benefited from being broken up. Also some panels/pages from his works would've been great too. Interesting but again it was kinda exhausting.

What's In My Bag
Books
Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

Graphic Novel
League of Extraordinary Gentleman Vol. 1

Magazine
Paste

Comic
Countdown to Final Crisis #5

Checkout Count: Insane!

"You say you want a revolution..." Enjoy the week! Book Slave

2 comments:

crazy4novels said...

Hey, you've been listing "The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" for weeks now, kiddo. Either Oscar's life isn't that brief, you didn't find it that wondrous, or you've been crushed under a pile of graphic novels. Oscar awaits, and we all want a review.

gettsr said...

Well the gauntlet has been thrown.