2008-03-27

Search Me

Hello,
What's with the cold and snow? I think Utah is intent on messing with your mind continuously. Anyway today we will work through search engines. Hit me baby!

Some other Online Search Engines
Do you remember the days when the internet was new? In those wacky days the search was to find the best search engine. First there was Webcrawler, Infoseek, and Lycos. Then there was Dogpile, Altavista, and Excite. Of course these all bit the dust as soon as Yahoo appeared on the scene; then of course came Google who reigns supreme.

So I was not surprised to hear that there are some other search engines out there, just waiting to be discovered. I was most impressed with Exalead, Although Clusty was a close second. These search engines are probably better then Google in the ability to get a lot of info quickly. However they lack what Google has which is simplicity. BTW in my opinion due to its funky bizarre graphic design I found Kartoo ridiculously confusing. Also if you look at their image and video tabs you are sent to Yahoo, so what's the point. Just use Yahoo.

Anyway these are key to reference work for the new age librarian. Patrons will ask you any questions under the sun, for there research projects, or just crazy obssessions about Mars. Maybe I'll give some of these a try in the future.

Housekeeping
Just like to point some stuff out.
*LibraryThing is updated to reflect all the books that I have reviewed since the beginning of this blog. My goal is to read and review 52 books this year. Right now I'm on target.
*Have been thinking of adding another blog to reflect my other passions. Any suggestions for names, please drop me a line.
*May post a special report on the World Horror Convention 2008 that I will be attending for a day here in Salt Lake.
*Please check out the other blogs listed on the Blog Roll. I think they are spiffy.

Alright I'se need to get going. Have a great day! Book Slave.

No comments: