2008-04-03

Wonderful World of Online Apps

So today I'm going to write about the new wonderful world of online web applications.

Populist Technology for the Masses
In fact I am currently writing this on Google Docs. This web based word processing program functions about exactly like my Microsoft Word program. Now I could curse myself and pine for my money already lost in Bill Gates coffers. However I do believe this is the new evolution of internet technology. Google Docs, as well as technology like Open Office and Lulu.com, allow anyone anywhere to type a document or spreadsheet and save it and publish it. I applaud the populism of this new accessibility because in my opinion I think basic software should be free. Let's face it hardware is nothing without the software to support it. And don't get me started on upgrades.
However as I looked through Google, Google Labs, as well as the Web 2.0 winners, I noticed a proliferation of mainly business applications. I can see the influence of capitalism and "the man" and it worries me. I want the Internet to maintain it's freewheeling, sometimes insane, independent nature. However then again maybe what's good for the goose is good for the gander. In this circumstance Google is allowing access to anyone who can hook up to the internet which is great. I hope it stays that way.

Google Labs
So a brief word here on this. Isn't it great how transparent Google is? Putting these little experiments out there and taking the hits when they don't work. I applaud the idea. Of the group currently up I think the best of the lot is the Google Web Page Creator. I remember the painful early days when creating a simple web page could make one lose hair. HTML! Ahh! This app with it's built in WYSIWYG nature is awesome for quick easy use. As for the rest well it was cool to look at Mars and find out when/where I can get a cab. I also a move toward phone based technology which reinforces my belief that I seriously need to upgrade my phone.

Web 2.0 Awards
If you're looking for a great list of web sites here they are. Of course there's Amazon and Google up there, but it was good to see some of the new ones like Lulu.com. I also like that it was set up by categories with the top 3 choices. Worth checking out here.

Anyway I think there is a lot of library applications here. Using online apps our patrons can write their papers, type up resumes, and be able to collaborate on group projects. Again technology has converged to make our lives easier. What a great world. Book Slave.



No comments: