2008-02-05

Super Tuesday is here! Let's Read!

Hello Blog-o-sphere,
I'm so happy that Super Tuesday is finally here! Yes I voted today and wore my "I voted" sticker with pride. Anyway I do have some reviews for you this week. I also want to announce that you will be seeing some changes, some new features, but don't worry the focus will still be on books. Just because perhaps I may actually may have some readers (BTW hello and welcome!) doesn't mean I'll go changing on yeah.

Reviews
Mouseguard Volume 1: Fall 1152
Excellent new original comic series. This original graphic novel is sortof a cross between Redwall and 300. This series focuses on a trio of mice warriors who thwart an attack on their land. Petersen richly deserves all the hype and accolades.

Scott Pilgrim Volume 2: Scott Pilgrim Versus the World
Highly enjoyable sequel. I think it's actually an improvement on Vol. 1. We follow slacker/action hero Scott Pilgrim as he continues to date Ramona the delivery girl and do battle with her evil ex-boyfriends. However I actually really enjoyed the chapters involving dumped ex-girlfriend Knives Chau as she deals with Scott's rejection/plots her revenge. It was pretty hilarious but also bittersweet. Again I found myself able to read this in one sitting. Definitely more mature storytelling then Vol. 1.

Fables #60
I thought I would reread "The Good Prince" story arc that begins with this issue and runs through issue #70. Fables is an amazing series, however I felt that it had dropped off a bit during the "Wolves" storylines. By finally telling the story of Fly Catcher, the Fabletown janitor, Willingham has recaptured my interest. Fly Catcher's reversal in character as well as his scenes with Little Red Riding Hood were great. This series is well known for it's revisionist premise, however this issue brings us back to the great characterizations that keeps me reading.

Reading List
Book
Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

Graphic Novel
Civil War: Amazing Spider-Man

Magazine
Paste

Comic
Fables #61

Current Check Out Count: 45

Enjoy! Go read! Book Slave.

No comments: