2008-02-26

A Marvelous Weekend

Hello blog-o-sphere,
I actually had a pretty awesome fun-filled weekend. As a film nerd this weekend was like heaven. Academy Awards! Anyway I did manage to fit in some reading like I promised you all.

Reviews
Marvels
Like Kingdom Come, this original graphic novel is a deconstruction of comics, comics readers, and how we react to superheroes. Ross and Busiek show major events of the Marvel Universe through the eyes of photographer Phil Sheldon. Sheldon, and through him us, has a front-hand seat from the emergence of the Human Torch (who later became Johnny Storm of the Fantastic Four) to the death of Gwen Stacy. Sheldon laments that even though "the Marvels" are continuously heroic they are always hated by the humans they save. This is an amazing metaphor for how our society builds up heroes only to tear them down. Ross's art is iconic and amazing. It blows you away in panel after panel. I also love the Spider-Man cover. Do not miss this book.

Runaways #29
Finally a new Runaways comic! It has been so long since the last new book that I had completely forgot what was going on. I also think that Whedon has too. I will say that I was completely lost. However I did love the scenes involving the torture of Sister Grimm. I am convinced that she is the strongest member of the group and is meant to be their leader. Her grim determination as she told the Witchbreaker to bring it on was awesome. Otherwise I am so ready for this arc to be over. Whedon get them back to present!

Thor #1
I have never been a Thor fan, however I had heard that this new series was great. So I decided to check it out and it was pretty awesome. I have had major problems with JMS lately but he was spot on perfect here. Surprisingly half of the issue is a heavy discussion between Thor and Donald Blake that was very well written and interesting. Favorite line:"It is not for the gods to decide whether or not Man exists--It is for Man to decide whether or not the gods exist." I'll be checking out this series.

Reading List
Plays
Coast of Utopia Vol. 2

Comic
Countdown to Final Crisis #11

Magazine
Entertainment Weekly

Book
Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

Checkout Count: 48

Have a great week! Book Slave.

No comments: