2008-02-20

I tag you, you tag me

When I say tagging I'm not referring to graphitti folks. I'm talking about a new way to organize web searches and bookmarking. After searching through sites such as Delicious I am actively jealous. If only this had been around when I was in school! In those dark ages before wireless and my own MacBook I remember having to painstakingly note down my URLs for any future reference. Now here's a place where I can organize based on any category I want. How convenient!
I also notice that this idea is a result of the new technological mindset involving information portability. With our Ipods, flashdrives, and google accounts it now is easier to make technology work for us, rather than vice versa. I think this is very cool.
In terms of library research I also see this as a positive step. As we move more towards a web search world, rather then book search, it becomes crucial to use any tool that will help our patrons. I remember the dark ages of web searching when one would have to search through a thousand hits to find anything useful. Tagging IMHO is a way to make these searches easier as long as one uses the right keywords. Again this is not perfect yet, but I see it as a step in the right direction.
Start tagging, I mean technologically not with spray paint, Later, Book Slave.

No comments: