2010-01-13

With Great Power...

Hello All,
As a comic geek I've been thrown for a loop this week. In comic movie news it turns out that Sam Raimi & Tobey Maguire are leaving the Spider-Man movie franchise.
Now I've been a major fan of all three films, even the third one, although I admit it had problems. In my opinion Spider-Man 2 is the best superhero film ever made. It's great performances and script paved the way for movies such as The Dark Knight and Iron Man. I think a lot of credit goes to Raimi for capturing the fun, pathos, and humanity that can be found in this web-slinging hero. It's disconcerting to hear that he has left over "creative differences." What is with Sony Pictures? Don't they realize that Raimi is an able captain for this ship? Apparently not because here comes a reboot with Peter Parker going back to high-school.

In the last two years I've dipped my toes into the Spider-Man Universe. I enjoy the fact that while he's got super powers, he's also a real life guy who is just cannot catch a break. For spider-man if the going gets tough, well then it just gets worse. The best writers, such as Joe Kelly, Brian Michael Bendis, or even Dan Slott, understand that rather than cry over his bad fortune, Peter Parker will throw out a self-deprecating quip. This puts him at odds with the current skinny man-boy greyish brooders that are currently in mode at the cineplex. Peter Parker may be a nerd, but he's not conflicted about it. He's conflicted about where the next dollar is gonna come from, and how he's gonna take care of Aunt May.


So if Sony wants to re-boot Peter Parker back to high school than what source material should they draw from? Many have speculated that Sony will go to Ultimate Spider-man by Brian Michael Bendis. This would be an excellent choice. I've read the first few volumes of this series and enjoyed them immensely. Bendis has a great ability to capture the wise-acre sarcasm and his series features Parker in high school. However I don't think Bendis is interested in writing a Spider-man movie. He's too busy writing every book in the Marvel Universe. Well not really, but pretty close.





Well if I had the chance to bend Sony's ear I think that I have the perfect option: Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane. I devoured this series about 2 years ago and I love it. SMLJ actually focuses on Parker and MJ in high school, with their romantic travails. In fact Parker as Spider-Man is pretty much in the extreme background. The action focuses mainly on MJ's developing friendship with Peter, her dating Harry Osborne, and how her crush on Spider-Man is tested. It's a fun, adorable, teen series that anyone can read. It's easily adaptable and is already made for the teen market. If that's what Sony wants to focus on, then this is a great choice.

Are you listening Sony? Really all I ask: Don't Screw It Up. Choose great material: Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane is a winner.

2 comments:

Rocket Llama said...

Considering the strange way Sony has handled this whole thing, it's hard to feel good about this. And it's hard to believe they'll take good advice. Ah, well. Hope for the best.

If it's a complete reboot, I'll most miss the guy playing Jonah.

gettsr said...

Thanks for dropping by. At this point really all we can do is stay positive. I think Marc Webb is a good choice, he's shown a lot of promise in visual storytelling in 500 Days of Summer. It all comes down to casting. Who will be Peter? We'll see. I have to agree that it would be awesome if they kept J.K. Simmons. He's the man.