2010-01-20

Teach Me Comics, I'm Willing to Learn

Hello,
Today I decided to take a few hours and dive into my comic stack. It was an enjoyable time I have to say. It solidified my resolve that I need to get rid of things like TV, and make a solid decision to carve out reading time into my schedule. I am a chronic multi-tasker. It's not that I have ADD and can't focus. It's that I just strive to find the most effective way to make use of my time. However I'm slowly coming to the realization that maybe just focusing on one thing for a set amount of time may be more personally fulfilling.

So enough emo-introspection already! I haven't done one of these for awhile but I felt like it today so hell...

Lessons from Comic Literature
(These were curbed from the following comic issues: Amazing Spider-Man 615-617, Buffy the Vampire 31, Action Comics 885, Green Arrow Black Canary 28.)

1. Joe Kelly is the best writer for Spider-Man. He understands the humor, action, and attitude. I will always read a Spider-Man issue where he is the main writer. This is odd since I tried reading his critically-acclaimed series I Kill Giants and couldn't get into it.
2. Joss Whedon should always write Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8. I think one can trace the gradual decline of this series with lack of Whedon writing involvement. Whedon does the best job with characterization and dialogue. If you want to see the difference in quality just check out the difference between #31 & #30. Also I never want to see Jane Espenson write for this book again.

3. I like Action in my Action Comics. I don't know enough about Kryptonian lore to understand any of that hardcore nerdness. I really just like it when they're fighting.

4. Why am I still reading Green Arrow/Black Canary? I don't know.

5. Amazing Spider-Man has the best villian gallery. I really love how they are all getting featured in the latest "The Gauntlet" arc. We've gotten to see Electro, Sandman, and Rhino. Classic Villians are fun.

6. Comics! It's great to read fun superhero comics after reading nearly 50 issues of The Walking Dead. It was just what I needed.

Have a great week! Book Slave.

No comments: