2008-10-24

Festival-going 2008

Hello,
How are you? Good I hope. A short little entry tonight kids because this girl needs her sleep. Tomorrow I'll be at the Utah Humanities Book Festival at the Main Library, where I also work. If you've never been to my library well here's a picture for you.


Yep it's a pretty spiffy place to work. Anyway if you want to see the schedule and more info here's a link. I have been going to this event for at least 7 years strong. I even went to festival back when they were hosting it at Westminster College. In those days the event was a lot more local and academic. There were seminar sessions in classrooms and the main events were staged at the auditorium. I remember that I would go over the schedule the moment it came out and circle the sessions that I wanted to go to. Try to calculate travel time and find soda/junk food machines for snacks in between. I miss those days.

I think that when the new SLCPL library opened it became pretty obvious that every major event, no matter how dubiously literary, had to be staged there. Can't blame them really. It's a great space and very showy. Starting with the move to SLCPL this book festival got massive. In the last few years I've been incredible lucky to see such fine authors as Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, Shannon Hale, Lois Lowry, Douglas Brinkley, and listen to Molly Ivins. It's due to the fact that they've had such big names that this year I am somewhat disappointed. There just isn't any one all that interesting this year. Well no BIG names as it were. Unfortunately I have to work during most of the day, but I have finagled some off desk time to check things out. I'm gonna be focusing on YA authors and sessions since that's a big part of my job.

So maybe I'll see you there. I'll definitely let you know if anything cool goes down. Well have a great weekend! Book Slave.

No comments: