2008-10-07

Debate This!

Hello Committed/Uncommitted Voters,
Yes another debate tonight. Did you watch? I hope so. I did and I was reminded how much I abhor the town hall format. I don't need to see more of candidates playing up to the crowd. Wandering around the stage, freaking out camera men and producers. Geez. Anyway It's October! Let's talk books, Onward!

Reviews
X saves the World
I picked up this book because as a Generation X-er I really dislike it when my generation is maligned. We're whiners, sulkers, lack imagination, and our music is terrible. In this book writer Jeff Gordinier makes the argument that while some of these things are true that Generation X has found many ways to make the world better. I enjoyed it. This book is also a fun trip through the last 20 years. Especially enjoyed the chapters on film where he discussed two of my faves Richard Linklater and Quentin Tarentino. An interesting and entertaining read.

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
I decided to pick this up after having seen the movie that came out this weekend. Nick and Norah are both music-loving young adults who are getting over incredible heartache. They meet in a club where Nick's band is playing and decide to spend the night falling in love. As they travel throughout NYC these two strangers manage to heal each other. This teenage romance was written by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan in a format that I don't usually like. Each chapter alternates between the two main characters point of views. In this book it works because of the overlap of events is direct. I never worried about what was going on with Norah when Nick was narrating. The stream of consciousness monologues are written brilliantly. Cohn and Levithan captured every emotion from joyous ectasy to insecurity to pain and back again. I really loved this book and would love to see more of these characters. I laughed, I cried, it's better than Cats.

What's In My Bag
Magazine
Four Four Two

Comic
Powers #30

Books
Excelsior!
Bird Watching

Check Out Count: Much Coveted.

Comic Pull List: Deadpool #3, Detective Comics #849, Final Crisis Revelations #3, Goon #29, Green Arrow Black Canary #13, Green Lantern #35, Secret Six #2, Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane Season 2 #3, Stand Captain Trips #2, Trinity #19, Wonder Woman #25

Have a great week! Book Slave.

No comments: