2008-08-10

Some Daily Orwell

Hello,
How are you all? I'm taking a break from the Olympics 2008 to drop you a line. Seriously I think this guy Michael Phelps is a mutant or the long lost son of Aquaman. Have you seen this guy? Anyway back to books. Here's a fascinating new project that I wanted to highlight for y'all.

Special Focus: The Orwell Diaries

I was listening to NPR today and they had a fascinating story about a new project online. A group of folks over at the The Orwell Prize, Britain’s pre-eminent prize for political writing, is publishing George Orwell’s diaries as a blog. From 9th August 2008, Orwell’s domestic and political diaries (from 9th August 1938 until October 1942) will be posted in real-time, exactly 70 years after the entries were written.

Orwell’s ‘domestic’ diaries begin on 9th August 1938/2008; his ‘political’ diaries (which are further categorized as ‘Morocco’, ‘Pre-war’ and ‘Wartime’) begin on 7th September 1938/2008. The diaries are exactly as Orwell wrote them.

As a major fan of George Orwell I found this idea very interesting. While I understand that some entries will be banal and mundane, I also look forward to this look into the man's daily thoughts. It's like being able to reach back 70 years. And if you think about it this is before he wrote his classic 1984. I hope we get to see some early writings that show his intense socio-political mindset.

If this project proves to be successful I wonder if there are some other authors they might do. Here's a list of famous diarists that I'd like to see:

1. Sylvia Plath-Her journals are already available but I would like to see if I can gain any insight into her psychological mindset.

2. Queen Victoria-She kept a diary religiously for over 70 years. A lot of material there.

3. Anais Nin-Hot stuff I'm sure.

4. Dorothy Wordsworth

5. Bloomsbury Group-A collection of different writers could be fun.

Have a great week! Book Slave.

No comments: