2008-08-13

Animal Music

Hello,
Sorry for the lateness of the hour. Blame the Olympics. I had to know how the gymnastics and swimming would turn out. Well Onwards!

Reviews
Animal Man Vol. 1
I had to pick this up after I all the praise I had heard for this series. Grant Morrison can sometimes be crazy and weird, but I found this series to be very funny. This story centers around Buddy Baker aka Animal Man and his return to super heroics. He emerges as an animal rights advocate giving him the ability to focus his career. Often Morrison adds a lot of metatextual, as well as goofy likeability to Animal Man's adventures. I especially enjoyed the Coyote issue, as well as his issue with Martian Manhunter. Good read.

Love is a Mix tape
Rob Sheffield, a rock music writer for Rolling Stone and Spin, has written a heartfelt memoir/elegy/tribute that sometimes made my heart hurt. He frames his memoir around the music that reminds him of key events in his life. As someone who also likes to surround herself with music I could easily understand this correlation of music and memory. IMHO the most affecting chapters were his discussion of his marriage and tragic loss. Using music to cope with grief Sheffield is not afraid to show honest emotion on the page. Highly reccomend.

Reading List
Books
Notes on a Life
Blowing My Cover

Comic
Batman and the Outsiders

Magazine
Four Four Two

Check Out Count: Improving

Comic Pull List: Batman #679, Captain Britain And Mi 13 #4, Goon #27, Green Arrow Black Canary #11, Secret Invasion #5, Secret Invasion Runaways Young Avengers #2,
Trinity #11.

Go Team USA! Bookslave.

No comments: