2008-08-19

Blather and Apologies

Hey folks,
How are you? Doing well? I hope so. It's been an active week y'know. Some things had to be moved around. The world had to shift a little. I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm still working on the adjustments. What I'm trying to say kids is that it's gonna be a short entry tonight. No reviews this week. I'm still working through my reading list.

I do wonder, though, why some lit takes longer to read than others.
Obvious reasons:
1. The Book is terrible. It's well nigh impossible for me to quickly read a book that is poorly written. In this case the only thing that will motivate me is an outside force like school or a manager.

2. Book is written in a difficult style. Works like Faulkner fit into this category. Or Middle English. Tough stuff.

3. Unreliable narrator. There are exceptions here, of course, but in general I don't want to be thrown for a loop. IMO an author has to earn the ability to fool me. Fight Club IMO earned it's big change up.

4. When people do not act how normal people act. It's hard for me to tolerate when characters don't talk or act like the do in the real world. This makes it hard for me to tolerate romance novels.

5. Don't foist your ideologies on me in my fiction. Whether it be communism, the big J.C., or capitalism I don't want to read it. I'm looking at you Ayn Rand.

I could go on and on. But man when you're not connecting with a book it's hard. I will give up eventually, but sometimes it's like biting a bullet.

What's In My Bag
Books
Brideshead Revisited
Blowing My Cover

Magazine
Four Four Two

Comic
Secret Invasion #5

Comics Pull List: Batgirl #2, Batman And The Outsiders #10, Trinity #12

Check Out Count: Diverse.

Apologies, I swear next week I'll be better. Until then I will remain, Book Slave.

2 comments:

crazy4novels said...

I notice "Brideshead Revisited" is on your to-do list. I'm going to read it again when I get the chance -- Apparently, I missed all of the Catholic stuff the first time around. Go figure.

gettsr said...

I was actually pretty shocked at how overt it was especially in the latter half of the book. I'm waiting for the 11 hour miniseries to see if it's there as well.