2008-08-26

Rocky Mountain High

Hello,
It's convention time! Y'know what I love? CSPAN real time convention coverage and conventioneers dancing. Incredibly awesome. Anyway let's talk books. Onward!

Reviews
Brideshead Revisited
Is it possible to have everything and feel as if you have nothing? Charles Ryder meets Lord Sebastian Flyte at Oxford in 1922. Through his friendship with Sebastian, Ryder is thrust into the center of a life of immense privilege. Ultimately Ryder ends up questioning everything that he believes about truth and faith. I enjoyed this book immensely which I did not expect. I had not seen the famous tv series, or read any Waugh novels before. As I understand this book is very different from his more satirical works. There is comedy in here, Waugh does an excellent job of skewering the wealthy. I was shocked but not surprised by how the Marchmain's react toSebastian's behavior. Lady Marchmain is a well drawn character of someone who believes in molding and controlling her children's every move. Heaven forbid they be allowed to make their own mistakes and choose their own paths. I was also surprised by Waugh's serious discussions of Catholicism in the latter third of the book. Ryder's atheism and philosophy is very well paralleled by the Marchmain's stark Catholic belief. Each side is at a stalemate leaving the ending devastatingly inevitable.

Special Focus: Literary Adaptation
After I finished Brideshead Revisited I went and saw the new movie adaptation. I thought it was really good. In my opinion Emma Thompson can do no wrong and her portrayal of Lady Marchmain was excellent. This got me to thinking about literary adaptation on the big screen and small.

I think there is always a part of us that wants to see our favorite moments/characters/stories brought to life in front of us.
Some of us want to see exact duplications of what we've created in our heads. Or maybe a new spin on a classic tale. I also think there are books that I never want to see adapted such as Catcher in the Rye, On the Road, and The Crying of Lot 49. Stay Away Hollywood! Stay Away!

Having worked in the book business I am continuously reminded that movie adaptations can be helpful. It doesn't matter how many awards a book wins or it's critical esteem. If a movie is coming out then the masses will read the book. I guess if you make it, they will come. Even if the movie is a stinker, look at Memoirs of Geisha. I tell you we could not keep it on the shelf during Christmas 2005. And that movie was a disappointment.

I know it's obvious, but Books are words, movies are "moving pictures." They can't be exact or it wouldn't be a movie. There is a common perception that the movie is never as good as book.

Maybe that's correct but here's 5 movies and 5 television adaptations that I think are pretty darn good that I've seen and read (BTW these are in no particular order):
Movies
1. Bridget Jones's Diary
2. Lord of the Rings Trilogy
3. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
4. English Patient
5. Fried Green Tomatoes

Television
1. Lonesome Dove
2. Anne of Green Gables
3. Band of Brothers
4. Pride and Prejudice (1994)
5. Fingersmith

Now I could go on. I think that there have been a lot of great adaptations. I think it all depends on what your expectations are. One of my favorite stories comes from Dashiell Hammett. He and a friend were sitting and talking. His friend asked Hammett whether he was afraid that Hollywood would take away his story and change it into something different. Hammett said that as long as the book is on the shelve that no one can take it away. Amen, Dash, you speak the truth.

What's In my Bag
Magazine
Four Four Two

Books
Blowing My Cover
In the Woods

Comic
Time Master

Comic Pull List: Catwoman #82, Daredevil #110, New Avengers #44, Runaways 3 #1, Superman #679, Trinity #13, Wolverine #68

Check Out Count: Getting Under Control.

Enjoy the convention and a three day weekend baby! Have a good one! Book Slave.

2 comments:

crazy4novels said...

I thought that "The Year of Living Dangerously" evoked the atmospheric magic of the original book quite successfully.

gettsr said...

Haven't read/seen the book or movie. However that is a Peter Weir film and he is a phenomenal director. Also the script adaptation was done by the author himself, which must be key. I would've loved to see a screenplay adaptation by say Jane Austen. Although sometimes it's nice to have a new perspective. Anyway I'll add the book/movie to my TBR list.