2008-05-06

Sublime baby Sublime

Hello,
Folks I dare say that summer is officially on! Perhaps I will take my book to the park...Sounds pretty awesome eh?

Reviews
Scalped Vol. 1
This was the most acclaimed and talked about new comic series last year so I had to pick it up. And it did not disappoint. Set on an Indian reservation we follow a Native American lawman who is not only battling corruption but also his own demons. In this first story arc he sets up the connections between the two main characters slowly. They are irrevocably tied together by a past that involves violence and death. I was pretty enthralled and highly recommend this to those who are looking for a character study. I will warn you that this story is definitely rated R. Not for the weak. Check it out, this is the future of comics.

X-Men: Days of Future Past
I decided to review this classic story arc from Chris Claremont because I had heard it name checked in regards to Heroes. In the future the X-Men have been hunted down by Super Sentinels and are about to face nuclear war. Only four X-Men remain: Logan, Ororo, Kate and her husband Peter, and are joined by a wheel-chair bound Magneto, Franklin Richards and his girlfriend, Rachel, a telepath. There last hope is to change the future by changing the past, when the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants murder presidential candidate Robert Kelly and others. To do this, Rachel sends the mind of Kate Pryde back to the present to inhabit her body at age 13. This was revolutionary at the time and brings an end to the Byrne/Claremont run. However, reading this story I was more impressed with the action art and high-concept ideas rather than the actual writing. These issues are horribly dated in their use of dialogue, clunky exposition, and characterizations. Claremont over-writes to the point of exhaustion. There's so many thought balloons. It's tough-going. So while I enjoyed the headiness of time travel and crazy action, it'll be awhile before I pick up another older classic issue.

Fables #72
This was Part 2 of a two issue series involving Cinderella. I highly enjoyed this action-oriented arc. Who knew that Cinderella is a super-spy? She kicks serious ass. There was also a backup preview for the new "House of mystery" title coming out this week. The art was great, the story not so much. I probably won't be picking it up. Still I'd reccommend picking this up for the "Cinderella" story.

What's In My Bag
Books
Armageddon In Retrospect
Always Outnumbered, Always Outgunned

Magazines
Comics Now!

Comics
Criminal 2 #2

Check out count: Crazy

"Summertime and the livings Easy" as Sublime says. Enjoy! Book Slave.

No comments: