2008-05-28

Austen and Socrates

Hello blog-o-sphere,
I had an excellent memorial day weekend. It included an entire day when all I did was watch a series of historical docs that blew my mind and read. Highly recommend it to all.
Well let's get it on, baby (not like that you dirty birds!).

Reviews
A Fine Brush On Ivory
This was a sojourn into high-brow literary criticism that took me back to my English Lit student days. Jenkyn's literary analysis of the six novels of Jane Austen is not for the weak. It definitely exercised my intellectual muscles. It should be noted that Jenkyn subtitles this "an appreciation," this shows that he is clearly a fan of Austen's work. His enthusiasm is apparent in his writing, especially when discussing Pride and Prejudice. While I don't buy some of his assertions, I did find this an in-depth critical read for Austen fans.

Always Outnumbered, Always Outgunned
Having read his well-known novel Devil in a Blue Dress I decided to pick up another of his series. Devil and this book are about man's struggle with violence in a society that is against them. Socrates Fortlow, an ex-convict, struggles daily against his base nature. Throughout these short vignettes Fortlow is shown trying to help people. But it never comes off as "The Fugitive" due to Mosley's stark realism. I enjoyed this work immensely and will look out for other books in the Fortlow series.

What's in My Bag
Graphic Novels
Essex County #1: Tales From the Farm
Batman: The Long Halloween

Comic
Wonder Woman #19

Magazine
Four Four Two

Check Out Count: Aaaahhh!

Have a great weekend all! Book Slave.

No comments: