2008-05-20

Getting my "read-on"

Hello,
Summer has finally come here with a vengeance. It is awesome. I have also had the opportunity to get my "read-on" so here we go!

Reviews
Scott Pilgrim Vol. 4
This volume is subtitled "Scott Pilgrim Gets It Together" and he does indeed. As the titular subject of this series I have often found myself amused and frustrated by Scott's immaturity. I am so glad that O'Malley finally shows some growth and change. He gets a job, a new place to live, and continues to woo the mysterious Ramona Flowers. I have loved the humor and "video-game" style of this series. It definitely is unique. While this is not my favorite of the series, (shame on O'Malley for gimmicky lesbianism) I still found myself laughing out loud. Favorite line:"Scott, if your life had a face, I would punch it. I would punch your life in the face." Bwah!

Armageddon in Retrospect
As is usually the case, this last collection of unpublished stories is a mixed bag. Vonnegut is at his best when he is discussing the evils of war. Being grounded in real experience I was shocked at his accounts of men being driven to the brink. He reminds us that there is no "good war." Some of the more oblique stories didn't hold my interest as much. Still worth a read, especially at this moment.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol. 2
This rip-roaring sequel brings our team together to fight a martian invasion. It also seems that there is a traitor within their own group. The "war of the worlds" plot provides action, however this volume is more about character moments. I loved the psychological insight into the character of Mr. Hyde. Moore continues to write amazingly complex characters. As a writer he is willing to take great chances. He doesn't settle for soft characterizations and easy redemptions. Unfortunately Moore leaves us with a cliffhanger that he still hasn't resolved five years later. Why do you hate me Alan Moore? Why?

What's In My Bag
Books
Always Outnumbered, Always Outgunned
A Fine Brush on Ivory

Comics
Detective Comics #844

Magazine
Film Comment

Check Out Count: Far Less Insane

Have an excellent Memorial Day Weekend! Book Slave.

No comments: