2008-05-23

Critic Proof

Hello,
Felt a little neglected? My humble apologies. Life does get in the way. Well here's a surprise post!

There are some author's that I will pick up no matter what the critics say. These authors to me are critic-proof. As you may have picked up already I currently work in a large independent bookstore. I've worked in "books" for a little more than 8 years. At one time it was part of my job to pick and choose what new books my store would get in. Because of this I got into the constant habit of knowing what books were coming out, and whether they had any buzz about them or interest. I also keep track of trends and what well-known authors are up to. Even though I am not a buyer anymore I still compulsively keep track of what's up. Occasionally I get a surprise, we don't all have crystal balls to look into.

However as I said at the beginning there are authors and subjects that will always get my attention no matter what anyone says.

Here's a short list:

Ian McEwan
I will read any book put out by this amazing author.

Alan Moore
As I've said before-Everyone should read all his graphic novels. They are incredible, literate, and often mind-blowing.

John Le Carre Espionage
I love spy stories. However I am more interested in intricate plots, grey old man spies, and moral ambiguities. Don't get me wrong James Bond is awesome, however I want my Espionage with meat. Le Carre, as a former company man, brings the breadth of his experience to these tales. He is not afraid to expose to dark underbelly. Everyone should read "The Constant Gardener."

Jane Austen
Revisionism be damned. Her stories are funny, romantic, and revolutionary. There's more going on than "women talking in drawing rooms." Austen, mind you she was not college educated, was the first to publish stories with a narrative voice. You can hear her voice/personal commentary within the story. She is a character herself; a reader feels as if Jane is a personal friend. This is why she is Jane, and not Miss Austen.

Cormac McCarthy
His books are integral discussions of the human condition. McCarthy is dark and raw. I can't wait for his next book.

These author's I would never miss. Have a great weekend! Book Slave.

No comments: