2008-03-06

Flick'en


Hello humble readers,
First I offer apologies on the lateness of this post. Didn't plan on my internet being unavailable on Wednesday. However here we are with today's topic (drumroll) Flickr. Since the beginning of the internet users have been posting photos online. Once download speed became amazingly fast this became more and more the focus of online usage. I think that this is an evolution of social connectivity that a website, like Flickr would come along. This site makes it much easier for folks to share their pics with each other and the masses. As someone who has never really been interested in creating or looking at other peoples pictures of their proms or babies I've watched this development from the sidelines. However looking through Flickr I can now see the appeal for library application. Working at SLC Library I see patrons and pros all the time taking pictures of our building. When it looks like this (see picture at right)how could you not. To have a place where these can be collected, shown, and shared is pretty awesome. In this way we get to connect with current patrons as well as future patrons. It was also fun looking at other libraries from all over the world. I would hope that using Flickr my library system can integrate pictures of/by patrons onto our account.
Pretty cool eh? Have a great week, Book Slave.

No comments: