2008-03-11

My New God

Hello cyber-world,
What a beautiful day here in SLC! I actually was able to go biking this weekend and it was awesome. Highly reccommend viewing the world from two wheels. Unfortunately you can't read and bike, leads to accidents, I don't suggest it. However, I do suggest public transportation. Many a book has been read while on the Trax. Oh the banality of blogging! If you are looking for insight and intelligence then what are you doing on the web! Anyway onward!

Reviews
Whiteout
Greg Rucka has become my new god. Again and again he is able to create strong female characters, not something comics are known for. This story features a tough as nails Federal Marshall Carrie Stetko, who is sent to solve a murder in Antartica. She is assisted by Lily Sharpe, a sharp British spook who may have alternative motives. I was quite surprised at how this story echoed Silence of the Lambs, not in genre, but in how the main character is isolated by her gender. Time and again she is considered solely as a sexual object and not taken seriously based on her gender. This echoes the isolation of the crazy locale. Add a twisty story and I was hooked. Cool art as well.

What's in my bag
Book
Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
The Somnabulist

Magazine
Comics Now

Comic
Buffy the Vampire Slayer #5

Check Out Count: 54

Happy St. Patrick's Day Weekend! Erin Go Brah! Book Slave.

No comments: