2008-03-18

Hello cyberworld,
How are you? After 4 days off in a row you'd think I'd have more read, but unfortunately other projects beckoned. However I do have some reviews for you. So Enjoy!

Reviews
Scott Pilgrim #3
This is such a fun book! It's unique and funny. This book involves Scott and his former flame Envy Adams. Adams is a great satire on bitchy pop stars, who are lost in their celebrity image. The story of Envy and Scott is a clear step toward more mature writing from O'Malley. Of course Scott has to fight another Ex-Boyfriend in order to win Ramona, but we also get to see the awesome fighting skills of Knives Chau. Highly Enjoyable.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight, Volume 2: No Future For You
This story arc is a collection of issues #6-11. Technically not yet out in a trade paperback, but it is only a matter of time so I grouped it together. I think that the greatest strength of this arc is the amazing writing of Brian K. Vaughn. Rather than Buffy, the main character in this story is Faith. Under cover to assassinate a rogue debutante slayer, Faith continues to be morally conflicted. She is the one sent in to do the dirty work and it is psychologically wearing her down. Vaughn mixes her grey morality with a need for redemption. I'm a sucker for redemption stories.

The Spirit #12
I know this is old but I am just catching up. I loved this issue. Darwyn Cook has revived an amazing series. Cook has brought in a romanticism to this final issue of his run. This tale tells the story of Denny Colt and Sand Serif, the childhood love that got away. The story spins a heady mix of lovers who are thrown together but ultimately cannot emotionally be together. Denny will always try to save her no matter how much she pushes him away. I loved it. And the art is amazing from J. Bone.

The Spirit #13
Now on the other hand I was very dissapointed in this holiday special. Half the time I had no idea what was going on. Although I will say that the woman with the tiger was pretty cool. Unfortunately we only got an 11 page story. The rest of the comic was a reprint of an old Denny O'Neill comic. Not to say that I don't like Denny O'Neill, but without a context or any investment I was lost. I'd have rather had a full issue.

What's In My Bag

Book
Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
The Somnabulist

Magazine
Comics Now!

Comic
Captain America #35

Checkout Count: 48

Have a great week! Book Slave

No comments: