2011-01-01

Year Four: Origins & Goals

Hey folks,
Yes Indeed it is YEAR FOUR of this blog. If you go back far enough in the archives you will discover that I began this blog way back in 2008. I've told the origin story before but I will repeat it for those who are new: I had been thinking about putting my own thoughts out on the inter-webs already. I needed an outlet for my thoughts and writings but I didn't see a viable vehicle.

Now why CNN forces Anderson Cooper to spend New Years Eve with Kathy Griffin is beyond me. It seems like unnecessary torture for a man who honorably reports from around the globe. I had to see this train wreck live so there it was New Years Eve and I was watching CNN. They started speculating on goals/resolutions for the new year. Anderson Cooper, looking handsome as ever, said that he wanted to blog more in the new year. And that's when I thought to myself, well if Anderson Cooper has a blog, then why can't I? Then I looked around and knew that one of my resolutions that year was to cut down on the amount of books in my TBR pile. Why not combine both? I would do a blog centered around my reading goals. So on Jan 1, which just happened to be a Tuesday I began The Reading List of a Book Pusher.

In YEAR FOUR here's a few goals and projects I like to through out there:
-I'm going to read 24 Jim Thompson books. That's 2 books per month. I'm really looking forward to this challenge since The Grifters is one of my favorite titles, but I haven't re-read it in 15 years. Nor have I read any other Thompson titles either.
-Going to read 1 short story a week. Could be Sherlock Holmes or a modern author. I just feel that this is a good habit to pick up.
-Zines. These unique materials exist in my department at work and my reader's advisory needs to be sharpened in this regard.
-Sandman. I'm reading it all this year, due to my new-found love of Neil Gaiman.
-Participate in the Get Your Read On challenge at my library. Sometimes I'm very competitive with my co-workers. I also like to read outside of my comfort zone.
-Last but not least: A 25% deduction in the TBR pile. More of a focus on the books I have lying around here, then library books. It's a good idea.

There it is. And I hope to maintain a regular posting schedule for you, Constant Reader. Life can get in the way, but I wouldn't still be doing this blog if I didn't feel it was worth something. So I hope you stick around. Have a great year! Book Slave.

No comments: