2011-01-05

Old Comics: Incredible Hulk #316

Hey,
In an attempt to get rid of what's been lying around for far to long, I'm finally getting around to reading some of these old quarter-bin books that I've picked up here and there. So this week I picked up the delightful Incredible Hulk #316. Now I've never really been a Hulk fan but I thought that for a quarter it's worth checking out. I mean look at that cover!


So here's Five Things I Found Delightful About This Old Comic:
1. Opens With A Wonderful Dutch Angle Full Page With She Hulk. John Byrne does a wonderful job bringing us into this issue with a fun off-kilter beginning.
2. That John Byrne Really was great back in 1986. Mind you this was before his legendary "Man of Steel" re-imagining of Superman. Now I must read that series if it's better than this. This was fun.
3. Tony Stark's Wonderful Arrogance. Of course he can take on the Hulk alone. He tells other superheroes to hang back and then gets pummeled. It's great.
4. Namor saves the Day! Then gets his Ass kicked by Doc Samson. Yeah Namor and Doc Samson are also in this book! Also Hercules, Wonder Man and Betty Ross. This book is full of characters all in one issue!
5. First and Last Hulk Conference page. Rather than a letters page there is a delightful little one page which is a mixture of photo and comic. This one-pager stars a 1986 versions of Byrne, Denny O'Neil, Jim Shooter, and the Hulk with word balloons and sound effects. Delightful!

What a great surprise. Sometimes you get lucky. Have a great week. Book Slave.

No comments: