2010-04-21

Vikings. Blood. Cursing. Yes.

Hey folks,
Brian Wood has become a powerhouse of comics writing. He has written an amazing variety of books and has not sold out. No Marvel or DC, he will only work on original series. This guy has the talent and ability to do whatever he wants. His versatility is impressive. I am hooked on his series Northlanders which features vikings, blood, and cursing. Like Jason Aaron's Scalped, it's not for the weak of heart. I've already written about Northlanders here.

I recently finished Vol. 3 which is a series of 1 shots and 2-3 issue stories. As interesting as these shorter character studies were, I think I prefer this series in longer arcs. The previous volumes were more epic in scope as we focused on one saga thru 6-8 issues. It's like the subject matter requires it. However I did enjoy the return of Sven from vol. 1. It was fun to have a continuity of characters which was a first for this series.

This volume is definitely a good jump on point for new readers, which is a good commercial move for Vertigo. Vertigo has a robust business in trade paperbacks and I think that is the reason for the switch up in story format. There was also a change up in artists in these issues which must also be a catalyst for the change.

I can't wait for the next volume and I urge you guys to check out this series. Book Slave.

No comments: