2009-08-11

Homing Instinct of Books

Hello to you all,
Last week has finally seen some relief from the summer heat for us here in the city of Salt. Been able to get a fair amount done without driving myself crazy. What is beguiling is how no matter how much reading I do I'm still buried in books. Will I ever catch up? Highly unlikely. It's difficult. However I do a fair amount of paperback trading online. I also have been hardcore about refusing to buy "new" books, especially in hardback. Waiting for the trade paperback these days usually means about a 6 month wait. That I can do. No more new hardcovers, they are just too expensive. Any way blab, blab, blab. Let's get on with it eh?
Onward!

Reviews
Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
This book is a delightful read. It is tailor-made for book lovers like myself. In 1946 London writer Juliet receives a letter from Dawsey Addams about Charles Lamb. Through multiple letters Juliet, and the reader, is introduced to the world of post-occupation Guernsey and it's colorful heroic characters. Writers Barrow & Shaffer deftly handle multiple character voices and move the story along at a fast clip. The use of epistolary is genius since it controls how information is doled out between characters and the reader. When the story gets a little too light in the middle the writers bring in a surprisingly amount of heft when discussing the horrors of war. Islanders begin to recount for Juliet stories of the German Occupation which are grim and realistic. The book is much more substantial than I expected. I was delighted by the wit and humor these characters exhibit. This is a must-read for bibliophiles like myself. Highly enjoyable.

Other Reviews
California Literary Review | blogcritics | London Telegraph

BPRD vol. 5
What else do I need to say? Start here, then rinse and repeat.

The Reading List
Books
Time Traveller's Wife
Back to Brooklyn


Magazine
Four Four Two

Comic
Amazing Spider-man #600

Comic Pull List: Action Comics #880, Amazing Spider-Man #602, Batman #689, Blackest Night #2, Bprd 1947 #2, Deadpool #13, Fables #87, Green Arrow Black Canary #23, Red Robin #3, Wednesday Comics #6

Check Out Count: Why do I do this to myself? *sigh*

Have a great week! Book Slave.

No comments: