2009-07-14

A Serious Obsession

Hello Literary cyber-world,
How are you all? Good I hope. I've been having a great summer lately. Have you ever all of a sudden become obsessed by a certain series? This weekend I did. All of a sudden I had to read every volume I could get. I usually have more self control, but every once and awhile...Well I'm sure you can see below what I'm talking about. Luckily I have a public library at my disposal. Otherwise I'd be poor.

I also feel compelled to put out a real full hearted cheer to the literary internet community. I love to read books, talk books, and push books onto others. I always worried that reading blogs would be just too voyeuristic and banal for me to deal with. It turns out to be completely opposite. There are book blogs out there that are interesting and generate stimulating talk. Want examples? Check out these posts and realize that these blogs are so much better than mine.

*Question of the Week: Which Books Would You De-Canonize?
*Olive Kitteridge
*Dickens for dyslexics
* Don Draper = America

Also to be completely random: I just re-watched my favorite original Star Trek episode "City on the Edge of Forever." I don't know why but I had forgotten that this ep was written by Harlan Ellison. It is so effing good! Also watching it in comparison to other Star Trek eps it was so well-plotted with a distinct character arc for Kirk. Makes me think that maybe I should give Ellison a try.

Well enough prattling on. Onward!

Reviews
Escapist Vol. 1
I picked this up due to it's high acclaim. I've always wanted to get into the literary work of Michael Chabon. Of course The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay sits on my shelf. So I picked up the Escapist and while I somewhat enjoyed it I think that it only works as a supplement to Kavalier and Clay. Having not read that book I was lost on the majority of the material. I did enjoy the experimentation with multiple comic styles such as Golden Age, manga, and Modern Age. My fave stories involved the character of The Escapist himself. The last story involving the Escapist and his possible female soulmate blew me away. I think I'll revisit this again after reading Kavalier & Clay. Unfortunately this book doesn't stand on it's own.

BPRD: Soul of Venice, BPRD: Hollow Men, BPRD: 1946
As stated above I became obsessed this weekend with the series BPRD. I just needed to consume every volume. BPRD stands for the Bureau of Paranormal Research Department and is a spinoff from Mignola's Hellboy. Funded by the government, this group of homegrown agents are sent to investigate when crazy shit goes down. Each volume contains a self contained 5 issue story arc so you don't have to worry about reading it in order or facing continuity issues. This is the ideal format for this series. Writer/Artist Mike Mignola has created a dark/gothic/steampunkish world that is so immersive. Reading it I can feel the same thrill that I had watching X-Files or Lost. Anything is possible. Vampire soldiers created by Nazis, Demon living underneath Venice that can take your soul, A Bad Ass named Lobster Johnson. Yes, yes, yes. I also enjoyed the character dynamics between the different characters. There's a level of comfort between these characters because they have worked together so long. Thrown into the mix is "the new guy" who of course gets teased by the veterans. It's fun see the origins of this team in the prequel book 1946 which takes us back to the beginning. It would be so easy to just make the Nazis the villian, but in the world of Mike Mignola we get cyborg gorillas & mechanical spiders with human heads. It's wonderful fun original work. I can't stop reading it.

The Reading List
Books
BPRD: Plague of Frogs
BPRD: The Dead

(see a pattern? I need serious help. I can't stop!)

Magazines
Vanity Fair

Comics
Action Comics Annual

Comic Pull List:Action Comics #879, Blackest Night #1, Captain America #601, Deadpool #12, Fables #86, Incognito #5, Rasl #5, Wednesday Comics #2

Check Out Count: Geez.

Have a great week! Book Slave.

1 comment:

Gina said...

Thanks so much for the link to Dickensblog! And don't be so modest! :-)