2009-08-04

It's not a comeback, it's a return.

Hello to All,
Fear not. I may have disappeared for awhile, but I have not forgotten you all. Trust me the end of July was full of insanity, especially of the reading kind. But I am back now. I'm intent on attacking August full force. Hopefully the cyberworld will follow me unto the breach.

As usual my book club meeting was highly enjoyable. We discussed the book Citizen Vince by Jess Walter (review is forthcoming). We even got the chance to talk to the author via speaker phone. He was very nice and answered our questions thoroughly. I give thanks again to Zach Sampinos, leader and moderator, for pulling our little book club together each month. It's always a good time.

I also had the pleasure of co-hosting a discussion of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Anne Barrows (review is forthcoming) for the Mainly Reading Book Club. Becci Webb, fellow librarian, has built a great group that meets every month. I am reminded that one of my first reviews posted on this blog was for The Jane Austen Book Club, a book I read for the same reasons as Guernsey. It's odd that the books themselves and the circumstances under which I read them are so similiar. Eh or maybe it's just coincidence. Well I digress. Onward!

Reviews
Harley and Ivy
I've already spread my love for comics writer Paul Dini all over this blog. He is a great Batman writer, but he's most well known for the series he created called Batman: The Animated Series. I picked up this collection because it showcases the relationship between the femme fatales Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy. This is a fun collection, although it's really strictly for the kids. Harley Quinn is a fun character, although she is haplessly dumb. In this team up with Poison Ivy they play like vaudeville. Admittedly I was hoping for something a little more sophisticated and smart, but this did make me laugh.

Here's a clip from Batman: the Animated Series that features these characters. Enjoy.



Into the Wild
In 1992 Chris McCandless was found dead in the wilds of Alaska. He had starved to death after living in an abandoned bus for 4 months. In this book author Jon Krakauer examines the 2 year odyssey that led McCandless across the US and ended in his death. I had been meaning to read this book for some time. Krakauer does a great job of not only telling us McCandless's story but also interweaving in similiar stories of crazy adventurers. Krakauer even includes his own story of nearly dying in Alaska. This is an interesting account of this young man's tragedy. What drove him? is the question at the center of the book. Really only Chris McCandless knows for sure, but from the accounts left behind it seems that McCandless felt the need to test himself. Man vs. Nature is one of the eternal conflicts. McCandless lost due to his own inexperience. Unfortunately it his family and friends who live with the loss. Well worth checking out.

Bio Info: Christopher McCandless, Into the Wild

The Reading List
Books
BPRD: The Black Flame
Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society


Mags
Four Four Two

Comics
Deadpool #12

Check Out Count: Could be better.

Comic Pull List: Amazing Spider-Man #601, Buffy The Vampire Slayer #27, Doom Patrol #1, Dynamo 5 #23, Justice League Cry For Justice #2, Secret Six #12, Superman World Of New Krypton #6, Terry Moores Echo #14, Wednesday Comics #5

Have a great week! Book Slave.

2 comments:

LindseyWatts said...

i miss that cartoon show. i really do. my favorite was always the scarecrow

gettsr said...

Yeah me too. We showed it this weekend in the Canteena & the kids loved it. Personally I'm still a Harley fan.