2008-06-03

Time of Decadence, the Famine is Over!

Hello,
The world is bright and I am again financially solvent. Thank you US Treasury (byway of China) for stimulating my bank account. Perhaps now I will be financially responsible and hold off on buying every book I see. Then again maybe not.
Onward to the breach!

Reviews
Essex County 1: Tales from the Farm
This award winning graphic novel flew in way under the radar. This is an original graphic novel about an orphan who comes to live with his uncle on the farm. He likes comic books and befriends a local could've been hockey star. While some scenes were very emotionally affecting I felt a bit let down by the story. Perhaps I was expecting more of a climax, but got something closer to reality. I will say the art in hand drawn black and white was beautiful and full of indelible images.

Green Arrow: Year One
I've been "waiting for the trade" on this mini-series since it ran last year. The "Year One" series has always delivered in bringing insight into the well known origin stories of their main characters. This book is no exception. I enjoyed seeing the evolution of drunken playboy jerk to modern day Robin Hood. The other draw here was the incredible work of British artist Jock whom I had enjoyed in The Losers. His pencils/coloring give us a mix of washed out greens and sharp details. It's hard to describe but it goes beyond the usual art. Also the splash pages are amazing.

What's In My Bag

Books
Assassination Vacation
Quiet, Please

Comics
Goon #22

Magazine
Four Four Two

Check Out Count: Embarassing!

Have an excellent week! I will see you in the space between spaces. Book Slave.

No comments: