2008-06-24

Bad Words and Villians

Hello all those out there!
Yes the summer continues on. Yesterday was my birthday...and I am old. However my family knows me well and nearly half of my gifts were books. There was one particular title that I think deserved special attention. That title is The Librarian's Passionate Knight and here is the cover:

Awesome eh? Oh it gets better. When one opens this classic they will discover that someone has scratched out all the "hells" "Gods" etc. Here's an example:

Now mind you all the sex and romance are firmly intact. Thank god someone has saved me from those "bad" words. Somewhere I hope George Carlin is laughing.
Anyway Onward!

Reviews
Wanted
I had heard about this series before but the upcoming movie release moved me to pick it up. This 6 issue miniseries was created by Mark Millar and drawn by JG Jones. The main character is a young man named Wesley Gibson. Gibson is an office drone who finds himself stymied by his mundane life. His mundanity is shattered when he discovers that he is part of a secret world of supervillains who are really running things behind the scenes. He is trained to become an amoral villain known as The Killer by The Fox and The Professor. The undercurrent of social commentary reminded me a lot of Fight Club, however I think that Millar is more intent on spinning around the classic Heroes Journey. In Wanted we are watching the development of a villain and Millar does not hold back. It is difficult to root for a protagonist who revels in murder and extreme violence. Gibson is set up as the lesser of two evils as he goes up against the inhuman Rictor. Although really I found myself questioning whether I cared about Gibson as a character and frankly I didn't. So what's left then? Well I will say that the art is amazing. The cover in which Gibson emerges in his Supervillain costume is just cool as hell. I also enjoyed the clever satire that Millar has thrown, whereas many characters are represent comic icons. I do recommend this to those who are interested in a crazy, dark, messed up comics. Anyone else needs to watch out. This book is not for the weak.

Catwoman: Selina's Big Score
I absolutely adore Darwyn Cooke. As much as I may like realistic, dark, grim comics, a book like this is just a wonderful read. In this story Selina Kyle, also known as the burglar Catwoman, puts together a major heist. In order to pull it off she pulls together a team that includes former lover/mentor Stark whom she has a complicated past. This book is written with a 1950s-60s crime noir. It's funny and cool, reflecting Cooke's sensibilities. Even though the main protagonist is a thief I still found myself rooting for her which is to Cooke's credit. This is a fun read.

What's In My Bag

Books
Assassination Vacation
Then We Came to the End

Magazine
Entertainment Weekly

Comics
Amazing Spider-Man #560

Checkout Count: Under Control. I hope.

Have a great week! Book Slave.

1 comment:

marilyng said...

You have no idea how many romances I had to go through to find that honey. And the cost.......$.25 almost killed the budget.
mg