2008-06-10

Soccer, X-Men, and Booster Gold

Hey folks,
How are you? Doing well I hope. Howse your summer going? Good. Excellent. Well for me this week it's all about Soccer and weddings. Yes my life is uber-exciting. At least I have you out there gentle readers. Or at least the delusional hope that you are out there. Are you? *crickets* Well onward!

Reviews
Booster Gold: 52 Pickup
I've been heavily anticipating this trade/spinoff from the comic series 52. Booster Gold is paired with time guardian Rip hunter as someone is trying to off super heroes "terminator" style by offing there ancestors. I love time travel stories so this book scratched that itch. It's a lot of fun making one's way through DC history as Booster tries to maintain continuity. Of course Booster is still the selfish glory hog he's always been, but this series does more than play his character for laughs. His character is given more dimension as he gives up individual JLA glory to save the team. The best issue of the arc involves Booster revisiting The Killing Joke as he tries to save Barbara Gordon. Good new series.

Astonishing X-Men Vol. 1
Fun new re-imagining of the X-Men from Joss Whedon. The "mutant cure" storyline raises a lot of great action and discussion/commentary. (Gay subtext anyone?) However it is the interaction between the characters where Whedon's writing comes through. There is some great dialogue between characters. I particularly loved the scenes between Kitty Pryde and Emma Frost. BTW How awesome is Emma Frost? Now I see why fanboys love her character. She's funny, adult, and edgy. Much like Faith from the Buffy universe. I'll definitely continue with this series.

Quiet Please: Dispatches from a Public Librarian
To sum up quickly: I thought it was awesome. Look for an in-depth blog entry focusing on this title in the next few days.

What's In My Bag
Books
Assassination Vacation
DC Comic Guide to Writing Comics

Magazine
Entertainment Weekly

Comic
Criminal 2 #3

Check Out Count: Finally getting under control.

I know that we are in the middle of NBA finals, but maybe try some international soccer. There will be a game almost everyday for the rest of the month. Perhaps you might like it. I'm just saying. Anyway have an excellent week! Book Slave.

No comments: