2010-06-10

Bounce, Bounce, Bounce.

Hey folks,
I hope you are all having a great week. Either by happenstance or fate Thursday has become "Bounce" Day for me. What do I mean? Well first of all a confession: I am a book hoarder. It's true. I tend to let books stack up and create massive TBR piles. This was a big problem when I worked in the book selling biz because I spent a billion dollars on books then I let them sit for longer then 5 years untouched. It's ridiculous.

Becoming financially destitute put an end to that problem. However in many ways I transferred it over to the library. Working at a library has very few privileges. Considering that I have homeless folk curse my name and then beg for computer time to play Farmville, well you gotta enjoy the small things. One of those things is the ability to check out materials. But then again those can also stack up in destructive ways.

Now I've worked very hard in the last 6 mos. to whack my check out count to a reasonable level. But it's still hard to let things go. So on Thursdays I've sat down and looked thru my library stack, figured out what I've had the longest and then I read a chapter. If it doesn't capture me, then it's time for it to go back. If I find myself caught up in the story then I'll keep reading the book, and end up finishing it. And then it can go back. Now this does take away from my normal reading schedule but I've found it to be invaluable. Too many book stacks and I really will end up seeming like the crazy hermit that I already am.

Will I ever have the self-control to keep the book stacks at a reasonable level? Hard to say, I guess we'll just see. So enjoy! Book Slave.

No comments: