2009-02-03

Those Extraordinary Gentleman

Hello All,
I hope you've had a great weekend. I myself had a low key time where I pretty much completely ignored sports. Superbowl? Was that this weekend? Well. I know that I said I'd have some ABA Midwinter stories but unfortunately I really don't. I was stuck minding the store while everything was going on. However here's a link to pics from the amazing reception party here. It was quite a time and I did meet some cool people.
Anyway Onward!

Reviews
Understanding Comics
I've been meaning to read this for some time. Scott McCloud has written an excellent breakdown of not only comics but sequential art in general. I didn't really have any interest in art until I was in high school. Before that I just didn't get it. McCloud does a great job of explaining the creative process in a way that non-artists, like myself, can understand. He also succeeds in showing that comics is a more complex medium than it gets credit for. It also helps that he presents the book in the form of comic art. It's a genius decision by McCloud. This book should really be used as a textbook in art schools. Check it out.

Other Reviews
Mantex | mile222 | grovel.org.uk

League of Extraordinary Gentleman: Black Dossier
I love the previous volumes of this series, so I was very excited when this was released. It's taken me awhile to get to this, however it was worth the wait. I enjoyed the further adventures of a rejuvenated Mina Murray and Alan Quartermain in 1958 fascist England. At first I was thrown by the redesign of the look of the characters, (Mina with blond hair, Alan as young and sans beard) but I grew to like it. Of course they would change their looks if they were on the run. The action and banter was as fun as ever. Alan Moore also includes plenty of in-jokes and easter eggs that made me chuckle. On the other hand Dossier also includes some crazy supplemental text pieces that I am convinced are half balderdash. I also think Moore likes to throw in crazy sexual material just to mess with readers. He knows that fanboys like to overanalyze every page so he will just throw stuff in. And I'm okay with that. Also the 3-D pages were awesome.

Other Series Reviews
League of Extraordinary Gentleman Vol. 1
League of Extraordinary Gentleman Vol. 2

The Reading List
Books
The Poems of Robert Graves
Booster Gold: Blue and the Gold


Magazine
Four Four Two

Comic
Battlefields: Dear Billy #1

Comic Pull List: Buffy The Vampire Slayer #22, Deadpool #7, Scott Pilgrim Gn Vol 05 Sp Vs The Universe, Secret Six #6, Trinity #36

Check Out Count: Massive.

Have a great week! Book Slave.

No comments: