2009-02-21

The Determination of Greatness.

Hello,
Today I was digging through my Reader. I came upon this essay by David Orr in the New York Times Book Review. Now I don't read every review, essay, etc. every month. I pretty much look for the ones that interest me. As a book seller/librarian/obsessive reader I feel compelled to do so, however I don't let it guide my choices like some.

Well I'll get to the point I think this essay is so ignorant. Writer Orr fears that American poetry is in decline. There are no "great" poets anymore such as Dickinson, Byron, or Williams. He pulls out a quote from Don Hall in 1983 where he fretted that poets no longer strived “to make words that live forever” and “to be as good as Dante.” Modern poets are ambivalent according to Mr. Orr.

I just want to remind Mr. Orr that "greatness" as he states is subjective. It's an opinion. Someone can be technically proficient but if their trochaic tetrameter has no soul then I ask what's the point. Art is not just "great" on it's own. Let's go back to our critical theory, more specifically Barthes. An artist does create, like God (or whatever creative deity you believe brings things into being), but then the artist willfully gives up his subjectivity to the reader/viewer. The viewer/reader then determines the ultimate meaning of the work to themselves. The author's intention is unknowable and inconsequential. The artist's intention is superseded by the interpretation of the viewer/reader.

Even then it is not the artist or viewer that determines "greatness." This is determined by the distance of time. Does a work hold up even a century after it's initial creation? Does a work stand out on its own or only as part of a group? I love the Beat poets, yet it's clear that Allen Ginsberg has work that sets him apart from that movement. On the other hand a poet such as Gregory Corso is firmly entrenched in Beat literature. "Greatness" is again completely subjective. What makes Ginsberg "great" and Corso not? Nothing, except my opinion.

And BTW Orr in his article completely ignores the up and coming American poets who are working today. These include:

Elizabeth Alexander
Rae Armantrout
Kay Ryan
Katharine Coles
Jesse Ball
Jimmy Santiago Baca
Billy Collins

I could go on but Orr needs to take a real look around away from his ivory tower. There is some "great" work being done and you Mr. Orr are missing it. But again that's just my opinion.

Have a great weekend! Book Slave.

No comments: