2010-12-23

Things I Learned this Year 2010, Lit-style

Hey,
So it's that reflexive time of year as we gallop from Christmas to New Years. Warning: Self-indulgent navel gazing ahead.
Here's a few things I feel as if I've learned:
-Oh I wish I could read that Mark Twain Autobiography. However if the book is more than 400 pages, then I won't read it.
-Finding a great book club or reading group is awesome. There's a gaping hole left behind when they are gone. I miss my book club. *sigh*
-I love io9, AV Club, and Neil Gaiman's blog.
-1b1t was a wonderful experiment. It showcased the "best" of what the internet can be used for.
-Great Literary adaptations are possible without being completely purist. For example: The Walking Dead, Girl With A Dragon Tattoo series, BBC adaptation of Emma (2010).
-Pairing Unlikely Directors & Writers with the right material can lead to wonderful results. For example Mark Romanek/Alex Garland and Never Let Me Go, Aaron Sorkin and The Social Network, Steven Moffat and Sherlock.
-Endings are difficult.
-Facebook is a key social media tool. It's not something to be afraid of.
-I'm still not interested in Digital Comics.
-Even having an internet interview will give you 15 minutes of fame. Even when you're a geek.
-Librarians shouldn't need databases to do reader's advisory. It's not that hard to keep a list of books to reccommend in your head. Or dare I say it: Just Read Books.
-I await the day when Ipads/tablets will revolutionize library work. I dream of a day when there are no more reference desks.
-Thank you JMS, Danny Way, and Andy Diggle. I was successfully able to drop Superman, Wolverine, and Daredevil thanks to you.
-Joe Kelly should write Amazing Spider-Man. All the time.
-I can cut down on my library reading pile. It feels good to do so.
-Twitter is a wonderful thing if only so that you can follow Maureen Johnson, John Green, and Steve Martin.
-There are still too many books.

I'm sure there's more. However I have Christmas to do. So have a great holiday! Book Slave.

No comments: