2010-03-27

Quotes from the Vowell

Hey folks,
I have been psyched all week to see Sarah Vowell. She is the closing speaker here at the conference I am attending in the magical world of Portland. Long-time readers of this blogs will remember that I love Sarah Vowell. Here's some quick links to posts that share my heart-filled enjoyment of Vowell and her work:
-Here's a video clip of her on Letterman talking about Wordy Shipmates
-My review of Assassination Vacation

In her speech she pretty much was her funny, irreverent, nerdy self. She read sections from Vacation and Wordy Shipmates, as well as previewing her next book about the history of Hawaii. It sounds fascinating and I can't wait. So here's some great lines that I, and the audience, enjoyed that I've parsed out for you all.
"It turns out I’m an imperialist"
"I end up identifying with the people I set out to loathe."
"The thing I like about books is learning about people who are unlike you."
"I don't know if there's an archivist vs. librarian turf war."
"Libraries are homes to truth."
"The bible is full of anecdotes that prime the pump of treason."
"Go forth and peddle your truth and smut."
Obviously it was very entertaining to see her speak in person and a fitting end to my conference odyssey. Next week we'll be back to book reviews and comics.
Have a great weekend! Book Slave.

No comments: