2009-10-14

Fall magic.

Hello,
I hope that you are all well. I love the magical feeling of fall in the air. It's wonderful. You know what else I'm psyched about? The fall movie season. This time of year combines the two passions of my life: books & cinema. Where the Wild Things Are comes out Fri. I've been salivating to see this film since May, so it's this weekend or bust. I never would of thought that this book could be brought to life like this. I've always maintained that not every book should/could be made into a film. Personally I never want to see an adaptation of On the Road. Ever. I guess it depends on the writer and directors vision for the material. I'm also pretty excited for The Road in November.
Well enough of this...Onward!

Reviews
Arkham Asylum
I've been meaning to pick this up for some time. What have I missed? A classic examination of the psychology of the dark knight. Morrison & McKean combine their considerable insight into the dark recesses of the mind. And they don't hold back. This book is a work of art. McKean combines photography, abstract art, and dynamic layouts to frighten the bejesus out of any reader. In the plot Batman is called upon to deal with a riot at Arkham Asylum being led by The Joker. Once inside Batman's psychological journey is juxtaposed with the story of the founder Jeremiah Arkham. Morrison's use of symbolism, juxtaposition, and literary allusion elevates comic writing to high art. This is a great book. Read It.

Video Review



God of Carnage
Occasionally I like to read plays. Unfortunately where I live I probably won't see the hot Tony-winning plays performed onstage for a few years. Fortunately the plays of Yasmina Reza are about adults who are stripped down to their bare selves. These ordinary people are easy to imagine as your next door neighbor. In the play God of Carnage a set of parents get together after a violent altercation between their kids. Slowly we see each character break down and shed their artificiality. Reza takes each character down a complex road that reminded me of Albee's Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf. She's more intellectual than Albee, so it's less melodramatic. However I think that this is easier to "read on the page." I do look forward to seeing it staged hopefully soon.

Bio Info: Yasmina Reza

Battlefields: Night Witches
I read this in issues as it was coming out but I decided to pick up the trade paperback. It's still a great series. Comics writer Garth Ennis started a series of 3 issue arcs featuring different stories from WWII. In each arc he's shown a spotlight on some not so well known groups in the military. Night Witches features a group of female Russian pilots who are recruited to do dangerous bombing missions in Germany. Of course the women are treated like crap by the male military, so they rely on each other. Like Preacher, Ennis is not afraid to show the horrors of war. But he also does a great job at characterization and makes sure all the women have unique personalities. This is Ennis's best work since Preacher ended. It's a great series.

Bio Info: Adventures in Feministory: The Night Witches
Other Reviews: Comic Book Resources

The Reading List
Books
Daredevil: The Man Without Fear
Boston Marriage


Mags
Four Four Two

Comic
Daredevil #900

Comic Pull List: Action Comics #882, Adventure Comics #3, Batgirl #3, Batman #691, Blackest Night Batman #3, Bprd 1947 #4, Deadpool #900, Fables #89, Green Arrow Black Canary #25, Red Robin #5, Secret Six #14

Check Out Count: Steady.

Have a great week! Book Slave

No comments: