2009-10-22

Are you ready for it? Really? Well I'm gonna give it to yeah.

Hello,
I hope you all are well. I've got a review heavy post for you today so let's get cracking! Onward!

Book Reviews
Boston Marriage
I'm reading some plays in preparation for writing on of my own. I stumbled upon this Mamet play completely by accident. I've read many Mamet works, even directed Oleanna, but I'd never heard of this one. Well I have to say that it didn't read very well. It had Mamet-esque dialogue, witty upmanship, and emotions that lie under the surface. But in the end I didn't care about any of the characters or their travails. So far as I can tell the play features 2 upper class women in the 19th century who find themselves in trouble. They are living off the artificial look of the monied, rather than having actual cash. Because of this one of the women has to bag a rich gentleman, although he's married, and keep the diamond knecklace that he has bestowed upon her. At the same time she wants to seduce his daughter (yeah you heard me!) and needs a bed to do it in. She asks her fellow not really rich friend for her house for the afternoon. Hilarity ensues. Again the subtext here is so obvious that it just makes me wish for the subtlety of Wharton. Good try Mr. Mamet but women are not your strong suit.

Bio Info: David Mamet

Catwoman: When in Rome
This book was so much fun. I could read Cat Woman/Selina Kyle running around Rome all day long. Loeb does a great job with the quippy sardonic narration. I couldn't get enough of it. Artist Tim Sale has a wonderfully retro style that is a perfect match for the tone. This is amongst Loeb & Sale's best work.

Other Reviews
IGN | Comics Bulletin | Burning Leaves

BPRD Vol. 8: Killing Ground
The adventures of the BPRD continue. This volume has a much darker tone than the others, and in the end it felt too slight. Not enough material to fit 5 issues, it probably would of worked better as 3. I still love the character of Liz Sherman and we do get more of her in this arc. Would rather have more of her story than the crazy escapades of Johan Krauss.

Past Reviews: BPRD

Lindbergh Child & Jack the Ripper from Treasury of Victorian Murder Series
The Treasury of Victorian Murder series is a wonderful tool for true crime addicts like myself. Written and Drawn by Rick Geary in each volume he covers a true story of crime. I appreciated that Geary focuses on the facts, rather than push a theory. There are a billion theories as to the identity of Jack the Ripper but Geary just wants to tell the tale. He proves that sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction. I found this utterly true in regards to the story of the Lindbergh kidnapping. Really you can't make this shit up. Geary explores the crazy characters involved in a quick matter of fact way. I love Alan Moore's From Hell, but sometimes I just want to know what happened and when. Geary's series is great and I heartily recommend it.
Author Page: Rick Geary
Other Reviews
Lindbergh Child: Comic Mix, Comic Book Resources



The Reading List
Books
The Boat
Daredevil Man Without Fear


Magazines
Wizard

Comics
Green Arrow Black Canary

Checkout Count: Reaching all time lows.

Comic Pull List: Amazing Spider-Man #609, Batman Streets Of Gotham #5, Blackest Night Superman #3, Dark Wolverine #79, Spider-Woman #2, Stand Soul Survivors #1

Have a great week! Book Slave.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks for the link! I am really enjoying your reviews - always great to see other book bloggers who accept comics as worthy forms of literature :-)