2009-09-24

Trials and Tribulations of Being Me

Hello All,
It's going to be a very busy week for this girl. Why do I do this to myself? Oh yeah I like to work, impress, and do the best job I can. Sometimes I just wish I could be one those people who don't care or can get by on their looks. No such luck.

Any of you guys watch the Emmy's last weekend? I was very happy to see Little Dorrit get all the love it deserved. I don't know if you recall but I loved the mini-series when it aired last spring. Here's my wrap up review. It's unfortunate that it seems that the mini-series is a dying story form, however I will say that I believe that the cream does rise to the top. PBS & HBO put out very solid product when it comes to long form storytelling. I'd rather have that then nothing at all. Either way there are certain stories that cannot be told effectively in a 2 hour feature film. Little Dorrit definitely fits into that category. In fact I think the same goes for the majority of Dickens work, as well as Dostoyevsky, Tolstoy, and McMurtry. So I hope PBS/BBC/HBO continue doing long form work. Little Dorrit deserved every award it received.

Anyway onward!

Reviews
Y the Last Man Vol. 3
I've been slowly rereading this series. I know that I can take my time because there's an end to it. No need to rush. With Vol. 3 the series starts to develop sub plots that go beyond the usual "keep Yorick safe" paradigm. Here Team Yorick collides with the Israelis when a Russian space ship is due to land with 2 male cosmonauts inside. Everyone wants to ensure that these men make it out alive, especially Yorick. His characterization is the key to this series. Clearly Yorick is still maturing as a man, however little-by-little Vaughn creates chances for him to man-up. In this chapter there is a small moment when he meets a woman dressed as a man while on the road. She assumes that he is doing the same. The implication is that she works as a prostitute, which shows how gender issues continue to flip. Anyway Yorick doesn't freak out, he's actually full of acceptance. Yorick may not be a hero like a cosmonaut but he is a good person at his core. It is his humanity in a messed up world that makes him interesting. Well and 355 is pretty kick ass. Good story arc.

The Reading List
Books
How to Read Comic Books
Batman: Arkham Asylum


Mags
Four Four Two

Comics
Spider Woman #1

Check Out Count: Fluctuating

Comic Pull List: Amazing Spider-Man #606, Blackest Night Superman #2, Detective Comics #857, Fantastic Four #571, New Avengers #57, Spider-Woman #1, Superman Secret Origin #1, Terry Moores Echo #15, Wednesday Comics #12, Wolverine Giant-Size Old Man Logan #1

Have a great week! Book Slave.

No comments: