2009-06-24

All Bendis, All the time.

Hello,
How are you all? I'm doing well. I am a year older having celebrated my b-day this week. It was a fun time. It's not bad being my age, if I can happy with who I am. My younger bro said something similiar to that & I could've kissed him. Also thanks mom for accepting & enjoying who I am. Even if sometimes it drives you crazy. We saw Up in 3D and man was it great.

I began this blog as a means to motivate myself to deal with my massive tbr pile. Now I'm working through it, but really it's like Sisyphus pushing the rock up the mountain. Thankfully I've been able recently to kick up the pace this month. I hope you guys enjoy graphic novels because there's going to be a few coming your way.

Reviews
Total Sell Out
Who is Brian Michael Bendis? Presently I consider him the crowned prince of Marvel. In the last few years he has earned the keys to the superhero kingdom with his work on series such as Ultimate Spiderman, New Avengers, and Daredevil. In Total Sell Out he shares with us a collection of his early work as a writer/cartoonist. I have to agree with him that some of this work is too cartoonish. He's also not all that great as an artist and I can see why he gave up drawing. On the other hand Bendis excels at being a smartass. He's damn funny. I enjoyed his characterizations of nerd culture, particularly a funny story about James Doohan, the original Scotty from Star Trek. Here we also see his trademark dialogue style. Bendis loves "talking head" moments with naturalistic/colloquial speech. He's great at it. As an early look at his style it was highly enjoyable.

Biographical Author Info: Brian Michael Bendis

Alias Vol. 1
Jessica Jones is a burn out, alcoholic, cynical superhero. She has hung up the spandex and become a detective. She'll help find out if your husband/wife/girlfriend is cheating, or if your sister's gone missing. Jones gave up on the believing in the good of humanity a long time ago. Alias is a strong mix of crime noir that exists in the same world as Captain America. Jessica Jones is a wonderfully flawed original creation from the mind of Brian Michael Bendis. Bendis expertly retcons Jessica Jones into the Marvel comic world by bringing in smaller B characters. Jessica's superhero powers are limited. She has super strength and can maybe "hover" but that's it. Jessica is more like us and would rather be normal. But try as she might she can't be. This first 9 issues was a great introduction to a new character that seems like she's been there all along. Bendis's classic dialogue-style is prevalent here. This is a comic that's much more about what a character says/doesn't say than kick ass fights. Much like an indie comic where Matt Murdock will show up as your attorney, I loved the mixing of sensibilities. I'll definitely be checking out the rest of this series.

Other Reviews
Avid Book Reader | Blogging Bendis

The Reading List
Books
Birds of Prey Vol. 2
Pride and Prejudice and the Zombies


Magazines
Paste

Comics
Captain America #600

Comic Pull List: Daredevil #119, Detective Comics #854, Dynamo 5 #22, Gotham City Sirens #1, Green Lantern #42, New Avengers #54, Northlanders #18, Runaways 3 #11, Superman #689, Wonder Woman #33

Check Out Count: Multi-media-esque

Have a great week! Book Slave.

No comments: