2009-05-22

Some Catching up to do.

Hey world,
Howse it hanging? Summertime has come and I have left you all hanging. Humble apologies, I just took a few days off. Wanted to catch up on some stuff. I ended up attacking my mighty comic stack and managed to read about 15 comics. That’s gotta count for something eh? I’ve got some catching up to do bookwise. I’m off pace to reach my goals, but I will have some more time on my hands. We’ll just have to wait and see.

Reviews
The Man Who Invented Christmas
Lately I’ve been very interested in Charles Dickens. I guess it’s the latest fad in literary circles. Actually I’ve been meaning to read this book for some time. Writer Les Standisford discusses the dire circumstances that Dickens produced A Christmas Carol. He makes a well rounded argument that this 1842 classic reshaped how the Victorians viewed the holidays. This combined with the poverty of the Industrial Age Dickens intended to make a statement regarding one man's change of heart. Ebenezar Scrooge is not influenced by the holy trinity but by the secular supernatural ghosts, hence the story is accessible to everyone. Standisford finds a nice balance between biography and sociological discussion. Dickens was financially destitute himself but he clearly felt that it was an obligation of the fortunate to help those less fortunate. A Christmas Carol bears this philosophy out. An interesting read.

Biographical Info: Charles Dickens

The Reading List
Books
Northline
Starman Omnibus Vol. 2

Comic
Deadpool #10

Magazine
Vanity Fair

Check Out Count: Dramatically Improving

Comic Pull List: Captain America #50, Green Arrow Black Canary #20, Outsiders #18, Trinity #51.

Have a great week! Book Slave.

No comments: