2009-04-07

Penelope and Me

Hello world o'the webs,
I hope you all had a great weekend. Here the schizophrenic weather continues. One day it's snowing, the next day it's in the 60's. Makes me want to go outside and walk, but then I feel the need to take a jacket. Because you never know man. This week my library started it's staff book sale. It's an awesome perk to be able to pick over the books before the public. This year because of my financial sit (and well to be honest do I really need more books? No. ) I had to show a lot of restraint. It was hard but I managed it. Due to the new job some money's gonna be flowing again so we'll see how long that restraint lasts. Anyway Onward!

Reviews
The Penelopiad
I’ve been meaning to read this book for some time. In fact long time readers might remember seeing this book on The Reading List way back at the beginning of this blog. The Odyssey is one of my favorite stories of all time. I love the epic-ness of the story. Odysseus is lost for 10 years, meanwhile his faithful wife Penelope fends off horrible suitors. This book is a part of The Myths series which re-imagines classic tales. I’ve already read The Weight written by Jeanette Winterson and I liked it. So picking up this book I had a lot of expectations. For 3/4s of the book I was satisfied.

Atwood strongly conveys the story from Penelope’s viewpoint with a fair share of modernism thrown in. Atwood uses the situation to comment on how women treat one another. I really enjoyed the antagonistic relationship between Penelope and the woman around her, especially her sister Helen. This emphasizes Penelope’s isolation as a smart, morally grounded, and faithful woman, in a patriarchic society. Atwood clearly wants to challenge the paradigms at work in this story. She portrays Penelope as a victim of the world that she lives in.

It is because of the strong portrayal of Penelope that I was annoyed whenever the story strayed away. Atwood attempts to use Penelope’s 12 maids, who are killed by Odysseus for sleeping with the suitors, as a counter chorus. I know that she is trying to use the classical style, but I didn’t feel it was necessary. Especially in the final chapters where the story shifts focus as Penelope feels guilt for their deaths. Atwood is mighty accusatory here, but really I don’t see the point. It is pretty clear that there is nothing that Penelope could have done to save them. In this patriarchal society Penelope is as powerless as the maids, and it was Odysseus who did the killing. So I enjoyed most of the story but I wish Atwood would have just stuck with Penelope.

Other Reviews
The Complete Review | NPR | About.com

The Reading List
Books
Starman Omnibus Vol. 2
12 Caesars


Comics
Echo #9

Magazines
Four Four Two

Check Out Count: *turn and run away in shame*

Comic Pull List: Captain Britain And Mi 13 #12, Green Lantern #39, Northlanders #16, Secret Six #8, Superman World Of New Krypton #2, Terry Moores Echo #11, Trinity #45

Have a great week! Book Slave.

No comments: