2009-05-16

The Printed Word

Hello cyberland,
I listen to a lot of podcasts and pay attention to new technologies. Have always been an early adopter of technology from the internet to Ipods to DVDs. I usually wait for the second generation models because then the price comes down and the bugs get worked out. Technology is a great tool when used effectively.

(Of course I still believe that if we give robots artificial intelligence they'll rise up against us, but that's another paranoid delusion for another time.)

Where am I going with this? Well today I was listening to one of my fave podcasters go on a diatribe about how everything is going to go digital. That in 10 years print will be dead. His argument involved the Kindle. Apple's new E-Reader allows for people to download books like an Ipod. Now I've heard all the arguments for it. Saves space, books are cheaper, and information more accessible. All of this is true.

However in my opinion no Kindle can replace the tactile joy of having the printed word in my hands. I've lived with books my whole life and I never want to be without them. It's something about the physical weight. The ability to turn the page which gives the reader the feeling of moving forward. Scrolling is not the same, neither is pressing a button.

I hope that my shelves are always full of books. And you know what if I don't think I'll read the book again, I donate/trade/pass it on to a friend. If I decide to keep one, I know that I'll have to get rid of one. This means I have to weigh each choice, giving the book even more value. This value is personal. I'm not a book collector.
The books I keep are stories that I know I'll read again. Not because they make me look smart or have some monetary value. I don't mind that space, because really what am I gonna put there instead? Sure when I have to move it will suck. But that's not in my plans anytime soon.

Lastly it is difficult to read words off a screen for an extended period of time. Don't get me wrong, I read my blogs, news, etc. off of computer screens. But can I read it for 8-10 hour stretches like a book. No I don't think so. Too much eye strain, and god forbid that the battery runs out. The torture of not being able to finish a compelling story, because there's no power jack. Or having to pay another 300 bucks if my Kindle breaks. No thank you.

So in the end while everyone may be toting around their e-reader devices, I'll be clutching my bound up printed pages.

Have a great week! Book Slave.

No comments: