2008-07-22

Merry Madwoman of Marvel

Hello true believers,
The unending scorching days of summer continue. There's no end in sight! I find myself hanging out in libraries, coffee shops, and books stores not just to be surrounded by books, but to soak up the A.C. Alas it's been hard to finish a great many books. I've noticed that my reading has definitely slowed. Is there a difference between summer and winter here? Is that it? Perhaps so. Well hopefully anyone reading out there can empathize here. Or maybe I need to be slapped around. We'll see.
Either way Onward!

Reviews
Essential Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1
This volume collects the first 20 issues of The Amazing Spider-Man. One of the first major hit series for Marvel these comics established what is known as "the marvel style." I enjoyed a lot of things about these issues: the villains, art, and action. However I still found the style very difficult to deal with. Every damn panel has a word balloon, and there are never less than 5 panels per page. That silver age style of writing is really hard to slog through and I will admit to skimming. What I found the most enjoyable was how the voice of author Stan Lee so often came through on the page. Here's an example:

"Know Something Little Friend? If you're just starting to read this story, we envy you! Because you're gonna have a ball!"

Yes it's heavy on the exclamation points but it really made me excited to find out what would happen. There's a lot of self deprecating humor. I love it when they call themselves the "Merry Madmen of Marvel." I also have to say that I really enjoy how the stories are a mix of the fantastic and the mundane. We see Peter Parker fighting Doc Octopus and worrying about where the money for Aunt May's medicine is gonna come from. Spider-Man is a super hero and an everyday teen.
Here's a clip of Stan Lee explaining this mixture:


So for classic comic reading I found it pretty fun. Although I will say that the dated style is difficult. Perhaps those looking for a re-telling of this should look to the Ultimate Spider-Man series which I enjoyed.

What's In My Bag
Books
Downsize This!
Uncanny X-Men: God Loves Man Kills

Comic
Secret Invasion #4

Magazine
Film Comment

Comic Pull List: Daredevil #109, Jokers Asylum Scarecrow #1, New Avengers #43, Superman #678, Trinity #8, Uncanny X-Men #500
Check Out Count: Diversifying.

Well have an excellent week! Book Slave.

No comments: